Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » 260 Rem (reloads)
260 Rem [message #34739] Tue, 16 December 2014 21:18 Go to next message
bikerpipes is currently offline  bikerpipes
Novice Contributor
I just ordered a 15 inch barrel in Rem 260 what is the best hand load for this set up It will be used for hunting and targets. This is my first Encore so I need a little help.

If God brings you to it He will bring you through it.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 December 2014 21:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 260 Rem [message #35474 is a reply to message #34739] Wed, 07 January 2015 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tnek13 is currently offline  tnek13
Forum Newbie
Suggest getting some H4350 and your bullet of choice 120 through 142 load data is on Hodgdon's site Start about 2 grains off max and work up.
Re: 260 Rem [message #35479 is a reply to message #35474] Wed, 07 January 2015 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
I just checked their site, and they don't have any pistol data for the 260 rem. They do have it for rifle data. When they don't list the cartridge for use as a pistol round they are saying they don't make a powder in any "brand" Hodgdon's, IMR or Winchester suitable for that round as a pistol. Your suggestion counters their experience. They do not recommend just grabbing their rifle data and force-fitting into pistol data, one reason I respect them so much, and have for well over 40 years.
So are you suggesting based on actual experience, or do you typically go to the site and look up rifle loads and use them in pistol length barrels? They had pistol loads such as the 7TCU, 7-08, 308, etc, but not the 260 rem.
Jim
Re: 260 Rem [message #35481 is a reply to message #35479] Wed, 07 January 2015 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Several years ago I had a buddy work up a Quickload formula for me for a .260 with an 18.5" bbl. I don't have the exact recipe in front of me but it was RL17 pushing a Hornady IB. According to QL, RL17 gave the best results when we plugged in various powders.
Re: 260 Rem [message #35489 is a reply to message #35481] Thu, 08 January 2015 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
After my initial loading of my 15" .270 barrel using rifle data, I discovered the report was ridiculous (H380). Sounded like cannon going off. Then I began to study what causes the excessive report and found that unburnt powder exiting a barrel is what causes the excessive boom and muzzle flash. So I started looking for a faster burning powder that would have a more complete burn in 15". So I looked in my Lee manual and found the fastest burning powder listed for the .270 rifle that I had available which turned out to be H335 and loaded that up. Great accuracy and greatly reduced the muzzle blast. From my experience I have found that the burn rates of H335 and RL15 give good results in 15" barrels for most calibers I have tried (in medium cartridges, 308 sized and 30-30 sized). Varget is pretty dang close to RL15, so it might work well too. The reload manuals are very anemic when it comes to pistol length rifle cartridges (there just isn't the demand and I doubt they take the time to try every caliber in every configuration). So you have to work with what they do offer. That is the beauty of reloading, any old doat can't be good at it. It takes thinking, research and testing and a lot of applied common sense.

I have used some of the faster rifle powders in my 10" 7mm tcu but found they have a ridiculous muzzle report (i.e. H322 and RL10x). So I found load data for the 7mm tcu using magnum pistol powders. Much nicer and reasonable velocities.
Re: 260 Rem [message #35494 is a reply to message #35489] Thu, 08 January 2015 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
ALL 10's are going to have more muzzle report than the same chambering in a 14, even the 22lr. 12's will be between. 8 3/4's worse, 16's quieter. The "smart" reloading manuals have different loads for 10's than 14's. Even .22 BB caps are louder out of a 10 than a high velocity 22 out of a 14,16,or 21. A 30Carbine (30M1) in a 10 is one loud,hard recoiling SOB with enough muzzle flash to make you think it's 2 o'clock in the afternoon when it 2 in the middle of the night. WAY better than yard lights or lightning.
Jim
Re: 260 Rem [message #35498 is a reply to message #35494] Thu, 08 January 2015 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Yeah, the Lee manual has a ton of reloading data, but it doesn't tell you the barrel length. Don't think it mentions the brand primer either. The Hornady manual tells you the barrel length and gun used for testing and does have some pistol specific rifle caliber loads as well as history on the cartridge. The Sierra manual gives you specific gun and barrel length and has data for different length barrels in the pistol with rifle calibers. The Lyman pistol manual breaks it down by length also but it is limited on the powders they have data for. They seem to have a thing for IMR and AA powder. Some of the old Hodgdon manuals list data for a limited selection of TC calibers in the pistol and they specify the barrel length.

Why can't we get a manual that combines the best of all of them?

My Hornady manual list a lot of encore pistol loads but it is the old one and I don't think it has .260 pistol data. Anyone know if the latest Hornady manual list data for the .260 in pistol?
Re: 260 Rem [message #35501 is a reply to message #35498] Thu, 08 January 2015 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
Hornady's 8th edition does not list the 260 in it's pistol data, but if you follow the suggested data from most manuals that list rifle cartridge data specifically for handgun loads (shorter barrels) you will find they recommend the faster burning powders that are listed in the rifle section, they are usually the best performers in the shorter barrels, Hornady, Hodgon and Nosler manuals do have good explanations of this,
Re: 260 Rem [message #35503 is a reply to message #35479] Thu, 08 January 2015 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Pfleuger is currently offline  Brian Pfleuger
Forum Newbie
jamesgammel wrote on Wed, 07 January 2015 23:11
I just checked their site, and they don't have any pistol data for the 260 rem. They do have it for rifle data. When they don't list the cartridge for use as a pistol round they are saying they don't make a powder in any "brand" Hodgdon's, IMR or Winchester suitable for that round as a pistol. Your suggestion counters their experience. They do not recommend just grabbing their rifle data and force-fitting into pistol data, one reason I respect them so much, and have for well over 40 years.
So are you suggesting based on actual experience, or do you typically go to the site and look up rifle loads and use them in pistol length barrels? They had pistol loads such as the 7TCU, 7-08, 308, etc, but not the 260 rem.
Jim

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.... or something like that. Wink

No company can test every possible combination. The lack of data for an exact fit does not imply that the particular combination is inappropriate. This is particularly true of rifle cartridges being fired from "pistol length" barrels.

Think of it.... an Encore Pro Hunter "rifle" with a 16" barrel can use Hodgdon's published "rifle" data but when I swap the grip and barrel for a 15" pistol that data is no longer valid?

The significant difference between rifle and pistol data is only going to be a question of muzzle blast. There is no (other than hearing) safety consideration whatsoever. The shooter should wear hearing protection at all times anyway, and double up plugs and muffs for extended sessions with a rifle caliber handgun.

To the point, generally speaking, using a significantly shorter barrel would tend to imply using a faster powder to reduce muzzle blast.

Being that the .260Rem is yet another .308 variant, the initial powder of choice for me would be IMR3031 as it as proven ideal for my use in 7mm-08. It is an excellent combination of high-velocity, good case fill and low(er) muzzle pressure/blast.
Re: 260 Rem [message #35504 is a reply to message #35501] Thu, 08 January 2015 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
It used to be that Bullet companies were privately and most times family owned and listed data for their bullets, wasn't partial to any powder maker. If you check around, conglomerates now own several of the old bullet companies, several scope companies, and maybe even powder. They aren't going to send you to a competitor by listing someone else's powder. Do a search and see who Lyman is in bed with now. IMR used to be ownwed by Dupont, that got not only sold but broken up, some going to Hodgdon's. Winchester powders and reloading components as well. WW Ball's are Hodgdon. Original 4350 was WWII surplus and used by reloaders for YEARS, I've probably still got some left over.
Jim
Re: 260 Rem [message #35570 is a reply to message #35504] Fri, 09 January 2015 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bikerpipes is currently offline  bikerpipes
Novice Contributor
Well there has been a change I cancelled my 260 barrel and went with a 7mm-08

If God brings you to it He will bring you through it.
Re: 260 Rem [message #35572 is a reply to message #35570] Fri, 09 January 2015 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
Very Happy aint this stuff fun
Previous Topic: Help please 20 practical
Next Topic: New cast boolits
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:58:26 EDT 2024