Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Knife and chisel sharpening
Knife and chisel sharpening [message #38626] Sat, 20 June 2015 17:45 Go to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I have a 1" X 30" belt sander and am wanting to use it to sharpen knives and also wood lathe chisels. My question is what grit and type of belts should I get for this job? I am planning to start small and then perhaps get a leather strop for the setup later. 400, 600, 800, or 1000 grit? I know enough to not hoss a blade into the belt and get it hot. Was going to practice on some older cheap blades first. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
Murl

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Knife and chisel sharpening [message #38629 is a reply to message #38626] Sat, 20 June 2015 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Best advice: forget the thought using a belt sander. Hossing and getting the blade hot is the least of your worries.

Jim
Re: Knife and chisel sharpening [message #38635 is a reply to message #38629] Sun, 21 June 2015 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Google "Scary sharp method". Once you do that, you'll never go back to sharpening chisels on a stone.
Re: Knife and chisel sharpening [message #38656 is a reply to message #38635] Fri, 26 June 2015 11:17 Go to previous message
yetibeer is currently offline  yetibeer
Forum Newbie
I broke down and bought a Tormek. Worth every penny, sharpen all my knives,chisels,etc. Even earn a couple bucks here and there sharpening others woodworkers tools.
Previous Topic: Memorial Day 2015
Next Topic: Happy 4th of July everyone
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 23:57:44 EDT 2024