Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Contender Question
Contender Question [message #21483] Tue, 09 April 2013 21:10 Go to next message
jotjackson is currently offline  jotjackson
Novice Contributor
I have a .45 Colt barrel that won't fit my original Contender frame. Will it fit a G2 frame?

Jerry W. Jackson
Re: Contender Question [message #21484 is a reply to message #21483] Tue, 09 April 2013 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
It's "supposed to" fit both. You might describe "why" it doesn't fit your "G-1", there's usually a "fix" to correct the issue.
Jim
Re: Contender Question [message #21485 is a reply to message #21484] Tue, 09 April 2013 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
The barrel locked up tight to the frame. Had to remove the trigger to release the barrel. TC said it would not work on the early Contender modes. Thought about buying a G2 frame.

Jerry W. Jackson
Re: Contender Question [message #21486 is a reply to message #21485] Tue, 09 April 2013 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Jerry,
when it locked up, was that without having fired a round, or after firing a round?
Jim
Re: Contender Question [message #21487 is a reply to message #21486] Tue, 09 April 2013 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Unfired.

Jerry W. Jackson
Re: Contender Question [message #21488 is a reply to message #21487] Tue, 09 April 2013 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
You can clearly see a difference in the lugs on both barrels.

Jerry W. Jackson
Re: Contender Question [message #21489 is a reply to message #21488] Tue, 09 April 2013 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Is the offending lugs a single piece or a two piece later design (locking bolts). Also likely to be flat-bottom lug vs having a "step" on the bottom at the rear(the hinge lug)
Jim
Re: Contender Question [message #21490 is a reply to message #21489] Tue, 09 April 2013 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
It is clearly a flat lug as opposed to my 410/45 barrel which has a step.

Jerry W. Jackson
Re: Contender Question [message #21492 is a reply to message #21490] Wed, 10 April 2013 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Now that is odd that TC said it was not compatible. You must have gotten a tech that is new or clueless. TC will fit it to your frame if you send the bbl and frame in to them for free I believe. The issue is the locking lugs. If you have a barrel that fits, you can swap the lugs and see if that takes care of the problem (I bet it does). Then you will know for sure the lugs are the issue. Good luck.
Re: Contender Question [message #21493 is a reply to message #21492] Wed, 10 April 2013 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Jerry,
Try swapping the locking bolts as Rich suggested. IF you still have a problem with the same barrel/frame combo, could you post a pix of your frame, and the two barrels? A pix would eliminate a lot of this short back-and-forth info sharing since we're pretty blind as to exactly what you have.
Jim
Re: Contender Question [message #21496 is a reply to message #21493] Wed, 10 April 2013 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Jerry; I have an older frame that will not accept the newer barrels. The barrels for it are totally flat on the bottom of the hinge lug and the locking bolts are one piece. If I try to put a newer barrel one with the step down on the frame it will not close. You seem to have the opposite problem. Like Rich and Jim have suggested I would switch the locking bolts out and see if that will not help. Good luck.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Contender Question [message #21497 is a reply to message #21496] Wed, 10 April 2013 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Novice Contributor
Thanks guys, will try changing the bolts. Gotta work for a few days. Will get back with you. Thanks for your help .

Jerry

Jerry W. Jackson
Previous Topic: Can anybody recommend a good cheek riser?
Next Topic: Weathershield
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 21 18:23:49 EDT 2024