Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Here's a strange one (.223 Pro Hunter Barrel shoots 69 gr handloads)
Here's a strange one [message #1695] Mon, 12 July 2010 10:26
loukiii is currently offline  loukiii
Forum Newbie
I just recently got into the TC Encore game. I got a Pro Hunter muzzleloader from Santy Claus and absolutely love it. I decided to get a couple other barrels as well to see if they lived up to their stellar reputation. I bought a 15" in 7mm-08 with the pachmayr grip/forend, and a 28" fluted .223 barrel for long range 'plinking'.
I used to shoot NRA Highpower matches with an AR15 years ago and I had a lot of leftover ammo both factory and handloads.
The barrel is supposed to have a 1 in 12 twist and it is recommended to use 55gr bullets or less. At first I followed the recommendations and truthfully I was not overly impressed with the accuracy from some of the 55gr factory ammo I was shooting. I had about 40 rounds of sierra 69 gr bthp I hand loaded about a dozen years ago so I decided to see if it would shoot.
Much to my suprise it appeared to be the most accurate of the whole lot. It grouped good enough to put 10 consecutive shots in a quarter sized group at 100 yds.
Of course it is yet to be seen if it is spinning good enough to hold that accuracy out to 200 yds or more. I also have not checked to see if the twist is indeed 1 in 12 or something else.
I guess that means I am going to have to go back to the range and do some more testing... Oh darn.
Previous Topic: TC Pro hunter interchangeable?
Next Topic: 45/70 encore
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 28 14:26:28 EDT 2024