Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Rail forearm (Rail forearm for Encore)
Rail forearm [message #27805] Thu, 23 January 2014 18:09 Go to next message
BigBG76 is currently offline  BigBG76
Forum Newbie
I'm going on a Texas hog hunt in Mar. (Night hunting) Guide recommends green lights. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a forearm with rail mounts to fit an Encore rifle?
Re: Rail forearm [message #27835 is a reply to message #27805] Fri, 24 January 2014 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
"Green Lights" as in flashlight with green filter, or a green laser sight as opposed to typical red? For a night hog hunt a green laser sight would make sense. U-V lights (or filters) are used for "blood tracking" at night.
Jim
Re: Rail forearm [message #27838 is a reply to message #27835] Fri, 24 January 2014 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Brandon,

Nobody, to the best of my knowledge, makes a forearm for the Encore with rail mounts already installed. I've actually got a bit of experience with this one, as I live in Texas, and hog hunt with a green hog light. You can mount a short piece of Picatinny rail or a cut piece of an old scope base (any old base). You can buy something like this little 2" piece of rail with cover for $13.19:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1949191715/falcon-industrie s-picatinny-rail-with-rail-covers-and-mounting-hardware-ar-1 5-handguard-aluminum-black

Or you can just find an old scope base and cut it down. The issue with using old scope base is that the bottom is rounded for the barrel, so it doesn't sit flat on the forearm. But you can grind it down a bit to make it sit flat.

Depending on the forearm, you have a couple of choices for mounting your own. On the ProHunter forearm, to about the 2:30 or 9:30 positions, or right underneath at the 6 position. On a wood pistol forearm, it's 3 and 9 only, as it slopes up in front at the 6 position and you don't have clearance / adjustability. I wouldn't try one on a Pachmyer grip. Too soft. On a standard rifle forearm, any position between 3 and 9 is good.

It took me a few minutes to find my old post on this, but someone else had asked about doing the same thing a few years ago on these boards. After double checking that the links were still valid, I'm cutting and pasting it here:

Quote:
You have a couple of choices.

Picatinny rail is available most anywhere optics (especially AR optics) mounts are found. You could always buy a short piece and screw it into whatever forearm you have.

Mounts like the Burris P.E.P.R. have rails on top of the rings. I know people who mount those types on their rifles, although a P.E.P.R. was really designed for an AR, and might put your eye in an odd position on the Encore. http://www.burrisoptics.com/arpepr.html

However, Burris also has their Extreme Tactical Rings, which you can get in any height, and then buy the Picatinny top separately. That would allow you proper eye positioning on the Encore, but still have the Picatinny rail on the top of your rings. http://www.burrisoptics.com/xtrrings.html

These days, I went the Burris P.E.P.R route for my AR, but I am installing a cut piece of old scope base on another ProHunter forearm soon, as I want to use it for pig hunting this month.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Fri, 24 January 2014 15:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Rail forearm [message #27844 is a reply to message #27838] Fri, 24 January 2014 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
They also make a scope mounted rail for a light. Mike
Re: Rail forearm [message #27847 is a reply to message #27844] Fri, 24 January 2014 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Mike - Good catch. Forgot about that. They also offer an offset bracket for a light. It mounts on a standard weaver or picatinny base, and you can mount it slightly in front of the scope, but it's offset by about an inch to the side so it's not in front of the scope. Like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2729277037/vtac-offset-pica tinny-rail-flashlight-mount-polymer

Several different designs, and I'd make sure the one you pick (if you go for something like this) leaves clearance for your scope bell in the front so it's not in your sight picture.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Rail forearm [message #27865 is a reply to message #27847] Sat, 25 January 2014 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
I've also seen barrel mounted, most likely best mounted under the barrel, so as not to interfere with aiming, whether via scope or irons.

Jim
Re: Rail forearm [message #27899 is a reply to message #27865] Sun, 26 January 2014 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigBG76 is currently offline  BigBG76
Forum Newbie
Thank you guys!
Re: Rail forearm [message #28002 is a reply to message #27899] Tue, 28 January 2014 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Glenn, you got pics of your setup for reference? Thanks.
Re: Rail forearm [message #28006 is a reply to message #28002] Tue, 28 January 2014 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
I bought a light kit from sniperhawglights.com in Tx., you can get just the mounts also. I got the 66 lr and they are a awesome led light. I mounted mine on the bottom rail of my Kel-Tec but their mounts will work for a scope or barrel position also. Mike
Re: Rail forearm [message #28009 is a reply to message #28006] Tue, 28 January 2014 10:32 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
I just snapped a pic. of my set-up. Mike

index.php?t=getfile&id=4507&private=0
Previous Topic: I picked up a ss encore 7mm-08 rifle
Next Topic: 25/06 26" heavt barrel twist rate vs bullet weight
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 16:06:08 EDT 2024