Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » new frame
new frame [message #30248] Mon, 31 March 2014 10:14 Go to next message
JakeT is currently offline  JakeT
Forum Newbie
I ordered a new frame last week and when I got it I noticed there is no over travel screw on the trigger guard. Wondering if I should put one on it or not. What does it actually do?
Re: new frame [message #30250 is a reply to message #30248] Mon, 31 March 2014 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
1. How about sharing what gun you're talking about: Encore, Contender (also G-1 or G-2).
2. Modifying/altering the frame (actually the trigger guard) would void the lifetime warranty, read your owner's manual.
3. Triggers generall travel a good way's further than the "fire point" where it actually releases the sear, and the hammer falls. The over-travel screw shortens that travel, which may increase accuracy, because further trigger finger movement *may* cause the gun to continue pulling one wat (left-right) or the other depending generally on if you shoot left or right-handed.

When present, T'C designed in the mold a "boss" where it's thicker than the rest of the trigger guard, that add some strength to that spot to "counter-act" making it "weak" and subject to failure, as well as more "threads" for the set-screw to maitain adequate "hold". Drilling and tapping a hole for a set-screw would be counter-productive towards their design engineering. Most of my guns (all G-1 Contenders) have the over-travel feature, and I sure use it when present on my "shooters". With the creep adjustment set and over-travel set to a minimum, you barely have to breathe on the trigger with your trigger finger to get the gun to fire; a light touch, thus less "wiggle", and targets and dropped game prove the point.

Jim
Re: new frame [message #30255 is a reply to message #30250] Mon, 31 March 2014 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
My G2 didn't have the over travel screw, but it clearly had a place to install one as it had a raised spot where you would install one, so I did. Seriously doubt they would notice that it wasn't factory since so many factory ones look just like mine. Smile
Re: new frame [message #30260 is a reply to message #30255] Mon, 31 March 2014 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JakeT is currently offline  JakeT
Forum Newbie
Sorry mine is the pro hunter frame.
Re: new frame [message #30261 is a reply to message #30260] Mon, 31 March 2014 13:58 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
The 2000 encore's had the screw. Are yiou saying they deleted provision for it, or that just the screw is missing? If the later, get one and put it in. If no provisons, SOL and yell at S&W.

Jim
Previous Topic: Thompson Venture recall
Next Topic: Closekly related: Bellm locking bolt springs wi G-2 and encores
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 08:26:35 EDT 2024