Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Pistol Scopes (Red Dot or Pistol Scope discussion)
Pistol Scopes [message #9005] Fri, 17 February 2012 21:19 Go to next message
Pcpharm is currently offline  Pcpharm
Novice Contributor
Hello! Well I just bought another used Encore barrel. This time I purchased a Winchester 308 caliber 16 inch pistol barrel with a muzzle brake. I already own 2 308 caliber FN/FAL. I used to be able to find 308 ammo for these rifles fairly cheaply as surplus. Well those days have passed. I thought that if I was going to reload for the FN/FAL I might as will try to find a hunting pistol of the same caliber and reload for both. I do not imagine I will be taking shots greater than 100 yards so this is my question. Which would be better a red dot scope or a pistol scope for this barrel? I have plenty of experience with rifle scopes and I know what my choice would be. I have no experience with either red dot or pistol scopes. Specifically, I am interested in any comments concerning the Burris Fastfire 2 red dot. I'm afraid that the Aimpoint and other higher end scopes are beyond my comfort zone for purchase. Thank you for your comments!

[Updated on: Sun, 19 February 2012 20:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Pistol Scopes [message #9050 is a reply to message #9005] Mon, 20 February 2012 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

I use an ultradot on my hand cannons... love it. reasonable price too!
Re: Pistol Scopes [message #9059 is a reply to message #9050] Mon, 20 February 2012 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Hello Littleking. Thanks for the response. I was wondering if you would expand on your previous comment. Do you prefer the tube version of ultradot, such as ultradot red dot sight, or the Pan-A-V Reflex Red dot sights? Finally, is there one model you think works better on the Encore pistols?
Thanks for your comments
Re: Pistol Scopes [message #9065 is a reply to message #9005] Mon, 20 February 2012 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
burkeboy is currently offline  burkeboy
Novice Contributor
I have had nothing but scopes for my handguns, but recently picked up a truglo red dot for my 223. What I finding is that up to about 100yds the red dot is great, beyond that the dot tends to cover some of the target your aiming at. The scopes on the higher power tend to show more of the wobbling.
Hope this helps
Al
Re: Pistol Scopes [message #9069 is a reply to message #9059] Mon, 20 February 2012 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

Pcpharm wrote on Mon, 20 February 2012 19:29
Hello Littleking. Thanks for the response. I was wondering if you would expand on your previous comment. Do you prefer the tube version of ultradot, such as ultradot red dot sight, or the Pan-A-V Reflex Red dot sights? Finally, is there one model you think works better on the Encore pistols?
Thanks for your comments

i prefer the 30mm tube version with the 4moa dot Smile - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/158466/ultradot-red-dot-sig ht-30mm-tube-1x-4-moa-dot-with-weaver-style-rings-matte

lovely little gem i might add Smile

I use that same scope on:

375 win mag 15" pistol barrel
20ga slug barrel
12ga turkey barrel

all 3 scopes have held up to plenty of recoil

I have swift 4x on my 44 mag 12" barrel, works great but i find the red-dots much easier to use

[Updated on: Mon, 20 February 2012 21:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Pistol Scopes [message #9082 is a reply to message #9069] Tue, 21 February 2012 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Hello everyone:
Thanks for the comments, something to think about. I have looked at the truglo scopes but was unsure of the quality. I will also look at the tube style ultra dot.
Re: Pistol Scopes [message #9091 is a reply to message #9082] Tue, 21 February 2012 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MongooseV8 is currently offline  MongooseV8
Novice Contributor
You should also take a look at the Bushnell trs25 as its very reasonably priced and has a fine dot for those longer shots. Turns up very bright so you don't need to worry about losing the dot in the woods or direct sunlight. I have two and they work great!
Re: Pistol Scopes [message #16946 is a reply to message #9091] Thu, 13 December 2012 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jotjackson is currently offline  jotjackson
Novice Contributor
I started out with red dots on all of my hunting pistols. As I began to increase the range of the shot, over 100 yards, I switched over to using a scope. This has made a world of difference to me. Your experience may be different. Hunting with a pistol is fun!

Jerry W. Jackson
Re: Pistol Scopes [message #16951 is a reply to message #16946] Thu, 13 December 2012 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Persoanally I prefer a true scope for hunting. My (current)elk gun, since '84. is a 14" Contender chambered in .358 JDJ and wears a 3-9 Burris with Posi-lock. Since '84 when sighted in POI hasn't changed a lick, extremely reliable. Others have picked it up when set on 9X and then said, "I couldn't shoot this, IT wobbles too much!" Well, that's not the scope wobbling, that's the shooter. If your "wobble" has the crosshairs (say on a deer) from beely to back, and three or four inches off the animal left or tight, and almost on the butt on the other side, That just means the majority of the time at the instant it fires you're going to have a "wounding" shot" or a miss, and 5-10% probability of a clean kill. At rthe same range with a 2x or 4x the crosshairs "blot" a lot of critter at any one time. If I can't keep that "wobble" within a 4" aiming point before the shot, I know I better calm down, get to fundamentals and gain more control, or I better pass on the shot. I'm not out there to simply "hit" or take "hail mary" attempts.
Two days ago I went to Cody for a cow elk. Rick, a long time friend and hunting companion tagged along with me (already filled his tag) and had a "live" wolf tag. His getting a wolf took priority over my getting an elk. As he said: "I've been with you and personally seen you take over a dozen elk from 250-300 yards with that "thing", so I know you can shoot it".
This last one was a tad closer, 225. Bang, literally blew her off her feet.
I recommend the highest power variables you can afford, and will stand up to the round you are using. That "wobble" many complain about clearly demonstrates where that bullet will fly at any time you squeeze the trigger. IF you can't keep that wobble within the kill zone, get back to fundamentals untill you can, even if that means not filling your tag.
Jim
Re: Pistol Scopes [message #17313 is a reply to message #9065] Sat, 22 December 2012 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
christopher.gibbons1@gmai
If your shooting involves low light conditions go for a scope. Red dots are fine under 100 yards in bright daylight, but notoriously poor in low light. Seeing the dot/crosshairs does no good if the sight doesn't a also pick up enough light to let you see your target.

Bolt & Ball Hunter
Re: Pistol Scopes [message #17315 is a reply to message #17313] Sat, 22 December 2012 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Illuminated reticles can help a scope in low light conditions. Still gotta be light and clear enough to see the target too.
Jim
Re: Pistol Scopes [message #18107 is a reply to message #17315] Sun, 13 January 2013 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
groove is currently offline  groove
Forum Newbie
hello, a 308 pistol barrel is good out beyond 200 yards for deer size game and smaller. for this reason, I would recommend a variable power scope. the 2-8 leupold and 3-12 burris would be my first choice, but these are the most expensive also. my third choice, which most of my handguns wear, is the bushnell elite 2-6. I like this due to the 20" constant eye relief. this means that the eye relief stays the same reguardless of what power setting you are on. most pistol scopes, except the leupold and bushnell, the eye relief will change when you change the power setting. the scope I am going to recommend for you is the bushnell trophy 2-6, it has a constant 18" eye relief. these can be found in the $150 dollar range. as with any scoped pistol, practice, practice, and more practice. try to find a ihmsa range in your area and shoot some matches, you will pick up field knowledge and confidence. good luck jim
Previous Topic: Pistol opens and closes hard
Next Topic: The release on my prohunter is stuck
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 08 18:22:10 EDT 2024