Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Photos » My first Encore also first rifle
My first Encore also first rifle [message #11991] Thu, 05 July 2012 14:38 Go to next message
Dirtweed is currently offline  Dirtweed
Forum Newbie
Hey Guys,

I don't know if I am glad I found this forum or if I should be mad. I started what I feel is
going to be one of those expensive hobbies again.

I picked up the 25-06 barrel here and the Frame from GB. Topped it off with a Redfield 4-12x40.
Trying to keep costs down for now as the kid wants a Quad as well. Ugh.

Hopefully making it to the range next week.

Darrin

http://www.pbase.com/dirtweed/image/144537993/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/dirtweed/image/144537994/large.jpg

Re: My first Encore also first rifle [message #11992 is a reply to message #11991] Thu, 05 July 2012 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WV338 is currently offline  WV338
Forum Regular
Forum Moderator
Nice looking rig. Now when you get to the range and you don't think it is shooting groups like you would like then comes the good news. You can work on them yourself and the parts are inexpensive compared to other firearms.
Good luck and good shooting...
Greg

Whisper Ventures
355th TFW
Re: My first Encore also first rifle [message #12003 is a reply to message #11992] Thu, 05 July 2012 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
I'm not searching for perfection. If it shoots close enough to where I am aiming on the deer I'll be good.
Plus I bought a few different types of ammo to try out.

I also have a Henry .357 Big Boy on order so I'll be using that in the pine forest for deer when I'm not
out in the open using the T/C.
Re: My first Encore also first rifle [message #12013 is a reply to message #12003] Fri, 06 July 2012 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
I think you made a good choice with the t/c, I mean how would you ever get more versitile than what you chose. Mike
Re: My first Encore also first rifle [message #12182 is a reply to message #12013] Mon, 16 July 2012 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigboomer is currently offline  bigboomer
Forum Newbie
The Encore Bug has bit again, next it will be several rifle barrels and then it gets worse..... Pistol barrels.....another frame or 3 ..... welcome to the the family Brother.
Johnny
Re: My first Encore also first rifle [message #12368 is a reply to message #12182] Tue, 24 July 2012 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
No Pistols for me...yet. Don't have my permit for a Pistol here in NY.

Well I went out and shot the 25-06....Ouch! Wow shooting from the bench was quite
a surprise. Felt that on the shoulder for a few days I did. Recoil was way bigger
than I thought it would be. Might have to wimp out and get a lead-sled.

Otherwise I'll have to get something smaller like a 22-250 to shoot instead and save the
25-06 barrel for hunting.
Re: My first Encore also first rifle [message #12370 is a reply to message #12368] Tue, 24 July 2012 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
If the only reason you're buying a lead sled is because your shoulder currently hurts, I'd recommend skipping it and investing in a thumb hole stock with a Sims pad on it instead. You aren't going to have that lead sled in the blind or treestand with you, so don't get used to using it now if your not doing long range sessions and/or lots of testing. (Purely my opinion, based on personal experience)

Do you have a bad shoulder, or are you unaccustomed to shooting a rifle? I'm not trying to be rude, so please don't misunderstand me. But .25-06 is really not what I'd call a hard recoiling caliber, and I have the aforementioned bad shoulder. There was a time when my .270 made me wince in pain after a half dozen shots. A good quality thumhole stock that let me position my hand better allowed me to grip it differently. The Sims pad took care of the rest, along with using Triflex until my shoulder got much better. If I'm going to shoot a lot, I might break out the lead sled for that one, but if it's just a few shots for practice / verification of scope alignment, I'm going to throw my Harris bi-pod on it and just shoot.

Chuck Hawks has a good comparison table for recoil of various calibers that can give you a good estimate of most. The .25-06 averaged somewhere around 11.5 ft lbs, whereas my .270 averaged around 17 ft lbs. The .25-06 is an awesome caliber, but I preferred the slightly harder recoil producing 7mm-08 just a little more. I can shoot 139 grain offerings from that (expensive though), whereas my .25-06 preferred relatively inexpensive 100 grain Remington Core-Lokt.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Tue, 24 July 2012 23:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: My first Encore also first rifle [message #12377 is a reply to message #12370] Wed, 25 July 2012 07:57 Go to previous message
Forum Newbie
I am unaccustomed to shooting a rifle I think is the problem. It didn't hurt when I was shooting at the range and I shot 20 rounds the
first time it just started aching later that night. I think I over did it for the first time.

Darrin

[Updated on: Wed, 25 July 2012 11:22]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: My Encore Pistol.
Next Topic: flatside 1539
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 04:04:07 EDT 2024