Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Favorite Gun Cleaners
Favorite Gun Cleaners [message #13527] Wed, 29 August 2012 19:38 Go to next message
MasonH is currently offline  MasonH
Novice Contributor
I live in the northeast, and have real troubles with gun cleaning. i've used a million products, and clean my guns properly and thoroughly, but it seems like i have to do it every couple weeks in the offseason, or else i have to deal with rusting. our hunting offseason is summertime, where its hot and humid, for 3-4 months straight. i could just oil them like hell, but i hate having oily guns. i just want to know if anyone's found a product that can be put on, either by spray or rag or both, that does what it's supposed to do without leaving an oily residue. or maybe there is some other method of cleaning that will do what i'm asking, that i've never heard of.
Re: Favorite Gun Cleaners [message #13549 is a reply to message #13527] Thu, 30 August 2012 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
I saw some test results on the web recently where various types of protectants were exposed to some really nasty (i.e. salty) environments. The two that held up best were Breakfree CLP and Eezox. Since Breakfree CLP does more than just protect, that's what I use.

However, this subject brings up one of my pet peeves. I too hunt in an unforgiving environment (SW FL). Even my blued guns from other manufactures are far more rust resistant than the so-called stainless steel that Encore uses. I don't know what grade of stainless T/C is using, but whatever it is it doesn't resist rust at all.
Re: Favorite Gun Cleaners [message #13551 is a reply to message #13549] Thu, 30 August 2012 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
We don't have the rusting problem here like you guys do, I oil mine after use and they're good till the next time. Have you guys tried the siliconized gun socks, I,ve always wondered if they work. Mike
Re: Favorite Gun Cleaners [message #13552 is a reply to message #13551] Thu, 30 August 2012 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oneshot57 is currently offline  oneshot57
Novice Contributor
I use the gun socks and don't have a rust problem. I also started using CLP. I live in washington where we have a fair amount of rain. I am always careful about oils from hands. But I only use my guns on a bench and not out in the field.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Mike

Guns don't kill people, people kill people!

EAA .40, G26, Ruger SR1911, LCP,Bersa .380 thunder,Taurus .357, Encore .308 / .270, 10 flcp-k .308,12 FLVSS .223 +++
Re: Favorite Gun Cleaners [message #14102 is a reply to message #13552] Wed, 12 September 2012 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wilyote is currently offline  Wilyote
Novice Contributor
Having lived on the coast in CT for ten years, I can sympathize with you. I found that Kroil will protect your metal but the stuff smells nasty. Gun Socks are Ok but do check them from time to time. The silicone charged type gun sock can cause silicone to migrate into your scope. I do believe my Rem 1100 had the blue worn down from constant wipe down while I lived there. I eventually bought a gun safe and used a drier to get protection when I wasn't using them.
Re: Favorite Gun Cleaners [message #17318 is a reply to message #14102] Sat, 22 December 2012 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
airedale is currently offline  airedale
Novice Contributor
GUNZILLA
Re: Favorite Gun Cleaners [message #17344 is a reply to message #17318] Sun, 23 December 2012 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Eezox is what I've been using

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Favorite Gun Cleaners [message #17346 is a reply to message #17344] Sun, 23 December 2012 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Eezox or Breakfree CLP. I hunt in SW Florida. I doubt your rust problems are any worse than ours.
Re: Favorite Gun Cleaners [message #17359 is a reply to message #17346] Mon, 24 December 2012 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
I second the Gunzilla choice .
It is a CLP type product that is environmentally safer,and works great.
I also recently tested Frog Lube and so far it seems to work very well.
I haven't had my test sample long enough to see long term results yet.
Re: Favorite Gun Cleaners [message #17472 is a reply to message #17359] Thu, 27 December 2012 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jmiles007 is currently offline  jmiles007
Novice Contributor
I have heard great things about Frog Lube from pro shooters, but haven't tried it myself. Breakfree CLP is good, but smells some.
Re: Favorite Gun Cleaners [message #17683 is a reply to message #13527] Wed, 02 January 2013 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cat Power is currently offline  Cat Power
Forum Newbie
I have been using Prolix for a couple years now and have been pleased with the results.
Re: Favorite Gun Cleaners [message #17689 is a reply to message #17683] Wed, 02 January 2013 09:44 Go to previous message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I use a product called TETRA GUN. I live in mid-Missouri where it is hot and humid most of the summer and I have had great luck with this oil.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Previous Topic: Youth stock for Encore
Next Topic: Newbie looking for advice
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:49:16 EDT 2024