Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Gummed-up Action?
icon8.gif  Gummed-up Action? [message #14000] Mon, 10 September 2012 14:28 Go to next message
Gotfour is currently offline  Gotfour
Forum Newbie
After shooting my stainless Encore in .44 mag configuration last year I put it up in the safe with just a light wipe down. Upon taking it out this year I found the action to be "gummed" up such that the action would barely break open and the hammer would barely fall with no snap. I used a liberal amount of CLP and got everything functioning but after a trip to the range today I'm getting FTF light primer strikes every few rounds or so. Anyone ever have this happen? Do I just need to disassemble the action and give it a thorough cleaning? Appreciate the feedback.........
Re: Gummed-up Action? [message #14002 is a reply to message #14000] Mon, 10 September 2012 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kimbo
Forum Regular
Hey Chris,

Just did my whole action again too. Break the frame down to the bone. Throw all your parts in Kerosene, let sit for a couple 2-3 days. Brush all the parts down with a steel brush to get all the crud off it. Then hit everything up with a liberal dose of WD-40 or PB Blaster (i.e. Walmart Special). Clean parts dry with a towel. Start to put it all back together. I like to use MOBIL 1 Synethetic (clear) high temp. grease on the springs and a light dose on the sear engagement (trigger parts).
BTW, if you already have the frame torn down to the bone - you may want to visit EABCO or Bellms website for a complete spring kit or atleast the trigger springs your choice if you want to have a heavier feel. Hope that helps.

Kimbo
Re: Gummed-up Action? [message #14008 is a reply to message #14002] Mon, 10 September 2012 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
Your light firing pin strike are becauce oil got in the hole and gummed up while sitting. I always place mine muzzle down for a week or two when I put em up for season. I had the same thing happen to me several years ago on my bear gun, a marlin guide gun in 444 and thought the firing pin had some how broke, I took it to a gunsmith and he just cleaned it real well and told me what had happened. Lesson learned. Mike

[Updated on: Mon, 10 September 2012 18:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Gummed-up Action? [message #14031 is a reply to message #14008] Tue, 11 September 2012 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
funny, I never use oil in actions; oil and grease are dust,dirt,and powder residue magnets. I douche everything with brake parts cleaner or ether, and use either graphite or teflon spray on sear engagement spots. Jim
Re: Gummed-up Action? [message #14080 is a reply to message #14031] Wed, 12 September 2012 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gotfour is currently offline  Gotfour
Forum Newbie
Just a note: Brake Cleaner works really well for cutting gunk and carbon (great for cleaning AR BCG) but make sure you use then Non-Chlor version.
Re: Gummed-up Action? [message #14081 is a reply to message #14080] Wed, 12 September 2012 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Followup to Gotfour's recommendation on brake cleaner. After using it, your metal will be totally stripped of protection down to the microscopic level. You absolutely must reappy that protection with a thin layer of oil or your metal will rust.

My stipping routine for gummed up metal is to hit it with brake cleaner then use compressed air to flash it off. Then, I'll hit it with a spray of oil (I generally use CLP but other oils will work well) and I'll again use compressed air to blow off the excess. Give it a wipe with a clean cloth to make sure and call it done.
Re: Gummed-up Action? [message #14101 is a reply to message #14081] Wed, 12 September 2012 20:50 Go to previous message
Wilyote is currently offline  Wilyote
Novice Contributor
Agreed on the brake cleaner.. It will clean all the protection off the metal. I'm not a big fan of WD 40 either. I have seen it gum up more than a few things. It is great for displacing water and flushing out grime but i don't recommend it for long term protection. Just my 2 cents.
Previous Topic: Encore "Rail"
Next Topic: Encore Hinge pins
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 19:53:12 EDT 2024