Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Older Contender assembly instructions
Older Contender assembly instructions [message #14527] Thu, 27 September 2012 05:17 Go to next message
johnp034 is currently offline  johnp034
Forum Newbie
Anybody know where to get assembly instructions for an older contender? The one I have wouldn't open, and I had to disassemble to get the barrel to release. I'm not a novice, and I've done many Encores & ProHnters, but this one is something else! Mike Bellms doesn't have anything on his web site. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, any suggestions on why its not opening?

Thanks,

JohnP
Re: Older Contender assembly instructions [message #14529 is a reply to message #14527] Thu, 27 September 2012 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WV338 is currently offline  WV338
Forum Regular
Forum Moderator
I copied this response from another site if it helps. I had the same problem but it was with a JDJ barrel so I sent it back to them and they corrected it but they didn't tell what they did.
Here you go...
"T/C Contenders below serial number 120000 or there abouts had front pivoting trigger guards/assemblies. There were several issues with later barrels in the locking lug that could cause them to completely lock up, flop open upon firing or in your case be hard too open. Don't know what that lady was smoking or trying to sell you but it doesn't sound koshier to me.

When I contacted T/C nearly twenty years ago about same issue was informed of a modification that would change the pivot point back towards the trigger. They called this there easy open model I believe. One downside too this modification is the trigger pull is affected. Since mine had a very good and desirable trigger pull I forgot about the modification. Once you understand what needs done too open the action its not a big deal, just takes a little more time.

Polishing the locking lugs will help as does polishing the angled ramps on the two prongs of the trigger guard. These slide against the pin protruding out the side of the locking lugs. Keeping everything well lubed will help. Despite whatever you do it will be hard too open because the mechanical advantage is small with the front pivot.

Newer T/C Contenders don't have the problem because the pivot point was moved back around the trigger pivot area in a design change. The locking lug was changed also from a single to split lug.

If you don't want to make the modification then after shooting just rap the trigger guard against your boot heel. What happens is upon firing the frame flexs a tinny bit allowing the locking lugs to enter there recess a little farther. When you try opening because of the low mechanical advantage its hard to retract the lugs from there recess. Rapping the trigger guard on your heel gives a small impact assisting in opening the locking lugs.

I personally would use caution even with Mike Bellm. Seems too me he's pushing things whether or not there really needed. That's my take after reading his web site. Your milage may vary after reading the site.

If you have the unfortunate experience of barrel completely locking up then remove the forend. Drive the trigger guard pivot pin out of the frame. Remove the guard assembly setting it aside. Reach into the opening with something flat prying against the pin that goes through the locking lugs. Once you retract the lugs far enough the action will open. If this happens then likely culprit is the locking lugs. I just switch them from another barrel. Usually use the lighter kicking/recoiling barrels on the lower serial number frames. Hard kicking/recoiling barrels use on later serial number frames or better yet the G2 frame. Since I have several frames now it's not been a problem."

Whisper Ventures
355th TFW
Re: Older Contender assembly instructions [message #14555 is a reply to message #14529] Fri, 28 September 2012 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Thank you WV338, that is exactly what is happening to mine! I'm sure now I can take care of the problem.

JohnP
Re: Older Contender assembly instructions [message #14565 is a reply to message #14555] Fri, 28 September 2012 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Maybe I've been doing it wrong, but whenever I had a barrel lock up I always just punched the barrel hinge pin out (hard nylon punch) and the barrel would then pop right out.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Older Contender assembly instructions [message #14566 is a reply to message #14565] Fri, 28 September 2012 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Won't do it on this one. I tried, but had to take the whole thing apart.

JohnP
Re: Older Contender assembly instructions [message #14576 is a reply to message #14566] Fri, 28 September 2012 09:53 Go to previous message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Don't have it anymore, since I got rid of my Contenders, but I had a piece of 2x4 that I'd cut and drilled for my frame. Take the grip off the frame and center it on the block. Trace an outline of the frame and then using punches hit each pin so it makes a mark in the wood. Then drill a hole for each pin, make sure it's a very loose fit and deeper than the pin by a good bit. I then used a dremel tool to cut a bit out inside the frame marks so that I didn't have to line up the holes every time. Just put the frame in and punch out what I wanted. Keeps the pins where I could find them and gave me a hard surface to punch out a stubborn hinge pin.

You can turn it over and rotate 90 degrees (to make sure the holes don't line up with the other side) and do some work so that you can use it with a grip on the frame (hinge pin only)

By the way, for those who have trouble with the trigger spring, use a smaller punch to line things up and then push the pin in from the other side using finger presser to get it started.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Previous Topic: Browning BAR 7MM rust
Next Topic: Encore 500 mag help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 21:50:18 EDT 2024