Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Fitting Contender locking bolts.
Fitting Contender locking bolts. [message #14951] Thu, 11 October 2012 19:56 Go to next message
mingokid is currently offline  mingokid
Novice Contributor
I have purchased an older Contender frame from a fine gentleman in TX. I panicked when then barrels which I have recently traded for locked up inside the older frame. It came with a 10 in 223 barrel that functioned fine. After alot of interest reading and asking questions, including the guru himself Mike Bellm. I judiciously polished the locking bolts after inking the top surface of the bolts. The first took about 30 minutes. I Polished then reassembled many times then began getting the results I was after. I used diamond sharpening stones by Smiths (sold by Walmart for $16.88). The next barrel took less time, and so on. Take the plunge, read and understand, then start slow...then go for it. Mingkid.
Re: Fitting Contender locking bolts. [message #14964 is a reply to message #14951] Fri, 12 October 2012 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
If you do it again please take pictures and post a "How To". There are more than a few people who have seen this. Good post

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Fitting Contender locking bolts. [message #14988 is a reply to message #14964] Sat, 13 October 2012 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rock007 is currently offline  Rock007
Novice Contributor
I agree, I would love to see a series on "How To" on polishing the locking bolts.
Re: Fitting Contender locking bolts. [message #15005 is a reply to message #14988] Sat, 13 October 2012 17:10 Go to previous message
mingokid is currently offline  mingokid
Novice Contributor
Start by looking at the top of the bolt, with a felt tip pen , ink the top of the bolt. Reassemble and close a few times, look at the marks made by the frame on the bolts. Using a diamond sharpening stone, lightly polsh the top of the bolt. Reassemble and try to close and cock the action. Continue until it slips into the frame, rotating the interlock allowing the hammer to drop completely. Opening gets better as you go. These are only my interpretation of many others description of the process. It works but be cautious, you can polish more away but it is more difficult to add material back. If you are uncertain of your patience or abilities, seek out a gunsmith. I just decided to look at other bolts that worked and then tried to copy the profile to fit my frame. Best of luck. If you are careful it will "click" for you and will achieve a better understanding of these great machines. Mingokid.
Previous Topic: Contender Barrel stuck and will not open
Next Topic: Encore Forend
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 22:05:56 EDT 2024