Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Spent Casing not ejecting (Shooting .308, and ejector pin slides right out from under)
Spent Casing not ejecting [message #15152] Thu, 18 October 2012 09:01 Go to next message
pzipp is currently offline  pzipp
Novice Contributor
Okay, I've looked around on line for an answer, but thought I'd come to the sorce! I'm shooting a encore frame with a pro hunter barrel, all stainiless steel, and when I fire a round, it won't eject. I'm trying to find out if it's something I can fix, or just take it to a gunsmith.

What I found online said that there may be an imperfection on the inside of the chamber that is causing enough friction that the ejector won't extract the spent casing. i looked at my spent casings and on 4-5 of them I see some consistant markings ut not on all of them.

Advise?
Re: Spent Casing not ejecting [message #15153 is a reply to message #15152] Thu, 18 October 2012 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
The first question I have is if it's hard to open after you fire (do you have to hit the barrel or does it just fall open)? If you have to hit it then your loads are too hot.

To get to a possible solution, first understand how it works. The extractor has to slide under the case until it can slip into the the rim. To do this TC has cut an area into the extractor bar that holds a bowed piece of metal that acts as a spring to keep some pressure on it when you open the frame.

To possibly fix this. Punch out the pin that holds the extractor in place and carefully slide it out. If the spring is missing contact TC. It's also possible that you've got cleaning fluid all through the channel and simply cleaning it out will help. If that doesn't fix it, then call TC and tell them you need a new extractor.

If it's a cartridge that you have a compliment of (308/243/7mm-08) you can try swapping the extractors as well.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Spent Casing not ejecting [message #15160 is a reply to message #15153] Thu, 18 October 2012 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
First off, are we using a wrong term? Some rifles and shotguns, and pistols do have "ejectors" and are capable of ejecting a cartridge. Encores and Contenders do not "eject" (throw fired or unfired cases completely clear of the frame. They do have "extractors" which lift the cartridge roughly a 1/4 inch so you can grab them with fingers to manually pull them out.
Secondly, you didn't mention which cartridge you are speaking about. Belted cases require the extractor to go down farther when you close the gun to clear the belt and then engage into the extraction groove in the case. There is a partial curved leaf type spring under the extractor that's designed to push the extractor up into the extraction groove in the case. So, is your complaint that it's not ejecting (and it's not supposed to), or not extracting so you can withdraw the case with your fingers? What "pin" are you talking about? extractors are "L" shaped with the case contour machined in? Pins do keep these in the hinge lug, but don't slide up into the ectraction groove.
Jim

[Updated on: Thu, 18 October 2012 09:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Spent Casing not ejecting [message #15164 is a reply to message #15153] Thu, 18 October 2012 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
I'll try that! Thank you!
Re: Spent Casing not ejecting [message #15165 is a reply to message #15164] Thu, 18 October 2012 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
I can open the action up without having to "hit" the barrel to knock it open. The extractor seems to barely even touch the bottom of the rim of the casing.
Re: Spent Casing not ejecting [message #15168 is a reply to message #15165] Thu, 18 October 2012 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Let's see if I can describe it this way, I think this is a G2 barrel, but they're all the same basic setup.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/Crubear/ExtractorinLug_zpsb5aa0a90.jpg

The piece that comes off the barrel is the barrel lug. For the purists out there, the piece that slides into the large groove is the Locking Bolt. It's held in place by the roll pin just in front of the rectangle cut-in. Doesn't hurt to take this out occasionally and clean it out. Your cleaning fluids have a habit of collecting in here even when you're careful.

To remove the extractor, punch out the smaller pin (just above the m in 9mm). Then slide the extractor all the way out. There should be a small curved leaf spring and you will want to keep an eye out for it. It's not under tension, but I had it fall out without seeing it the first time and tried to figure out what was this thing lying on the floor.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/Crubear/Encore-Extractor_zps6005999a.jpg
The extractor is the long piece that extends all the way through the lug. The taller cutout is where the roll pin slips through, this keeps the extractor in the barrel. The shallow cutout is where the leaf spring goes, the ends of the spring should be inside this groove with the middle bend pointing out to the barrel lug.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Thu, 18 October 2012 11:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Spent Casing not ejecting [message #15171 is a reply to message #15168] Thu, 18 October 2012 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
It is a 308, non-belted cartridge. I am out of town right now, but headed back tomorrow. I'll take a look at it then! Thanks men!
Re: Spent Casing not ejecting [message #15467 is a reply to message #15171] Mon, 29 October 2012 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
By the way, TC did have a spent case ejector for a very (very) brief time.

Re: Spent Casing not ejecting [message #15475 is a reply to message #15467] Mon, 29 October 2012 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
My .223 bbl wasn't extracting and I slightly bent the extractor up and took care of the problem.
Re: Spent Casing not ejecting [message #15826 is a reply to message #15475] Thu, 08 November 2012 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Hello:
Went to the range with a brand new pro hunter, fluted barrel in .308 cal and had the same issue. Although the extractor moved freely it did not contact the case rim properly. As suggested a couple of lines back in the thread, I used a #1 flat blade screw driver and ever so slightly bent the ejector toward the cartridge case rim. Works like a champ. Hope things work out for you. Shocked
Rick kc2htv

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: Spent Casing not ejecting [message #15953 is a reply to message #15826] Tue, 13 November 2012 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Okay, I finally had time to check and see if the spring was in place, and it was. I haven't tried to bend the extractor pin yet, cause I wanted to run a few more things past you.

1) I noticed tonight that when I go to swap out my muzzle loader barrel with the 308, the hole on the 308 barrel has to be lined up with it broken over and then lock it into place. It's also a very tight fit. I can get the release lever to unlock, but it takes a good bit of effort. If I was comparing it to the ML barrel, I'd say it was about 50% more effort.

2) If I put in a spent casing from my son's 308 bolt action, it will extract it. I'm not sure what that means, but it's bound to mean something.

Let me know what you think I should do!
Re: Spent Casing not ejecting [message #15964 is a reply to message #15953] Tue, 13 November 2012 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
If you can post some good pictures.

1. Barrel out of the frame, take a picture of the chamber with the extractor in and no cartridge
2. Take a picture of the barrel lug from the front (looking to the back of the barrel)
3. A picture of the barrel in the frame with an empty cartridge just as you see it at the range (show us where the extractor is)

Previous Topic: Chasing wild geese
Next Topic: Vertical stringing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 02:05:44 EDT 2024