Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » filling sight holes on encore barrel`
filling sight holes on encore barrel` [message #830] Tue, 22 December 2009 01:59 Go to next message
PONDER is currently offline  PONDER
Novice Contributor
anyone found anything you can put in the sight holes in the barrel to make them invisible. i have been told that wax does it but havent tried it. dont want to put the screws in the holes, they look terrible. anyone got any suggestions?
Re: filling sight holes on encore barrel` [message #996 is a reply to message #830] Sun, 24 January 2010 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ptpalpha is currently offline  ptpalpha
Forum Newbie
Seems like black JB Weld would do the trick, as long as you're sure you never want to open them again. Or black acra-glass bedding compound. I doubt you'd be able to see the difference between the black compound and the blued steel without looking really close. Just a thought.
Re: filling sight holes on encore barrel` [message #1190 is a reply to message #996] Sun, 28 February 2010 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ranger802 is currently offline  Ranger802
Forum Newbie
You want it perfect or just filled ? To do it properly check this link out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YaSf9GhEkM
Re: filling sight holes on encore barrel` [message #2867 is a reply to message #1190] Fri, 07 January 2011 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
uncle joe is currently offline  uncle joe
Forum Newbie
I have "filler" screws that were made for that purpose in all of mine and they look fine.
Re: filling sight holes on encore barrel` [message #9060 is a reply to message #2867] Mon, 20 February 2012 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mnshortdraw is currently offline  mnshortdraw
Novice Contributor
Use filler screws that are a bit taller than flush and have someone turn the barrel in a lathe to cut them flush. It will require a refinish but they will be gone forever. How bad do you want the holes to go away?
Re: filling sight holes on encore barrel` [message #9071 is a reply to message #9060] Mon, 20 February 2012 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

i used gun grease Smile
Re: filling sight holes on encore barrel` [message #9100 is a reply to message #9071] Tue, 21 February 2012 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pkett44 is currently offline  pkett44
Forum Newbie
Melting a black crayon into the holes works really well. If you change your mind , you can heat it and remove it tho not easily.
Re: filling sight holes on encore barrel` [message #11037 is a reply to message #9100] Wed, 09 May 2012 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
Yup filler screws are the way to go !
Just find the proper length to match the depth of your holes (a bit of steel wool under the screw helps if its too short) and tonight them in place , and you won't see them w/o searching for them,as long as you use the proper driver and don't booger the slots.
Re: filling sight holes on encore barrel` [message #11733 is a reply to message #11037] Fri, 22 June 2012 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BayouShooter is currently offline  BayouShooter
Forum Newbie
Black shoe polish?
Re: filling sight holes on encore barrel` [message #15638 is a reply to message #11733] Sat, 03 November 2012 08:33 Go to previous message
Wilyote is currently offline  Wilyote
Novice Contributor
Wow, i would never question the guy in the video. He has worked on more guns than i will ever see. I just wouldn't pound on a screw in my gun barrel like that. I have used filler screws and black epoxy.
Previous Topic: Forearm screw size
Next Topic: Needed Encore Parts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:00:48 EDT 2024