Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Contender won't open w Octagon barrel (Contender won't open w Octagon barrel)
Contender won't open w Octagon barrel [message #16425] Thu, 29 November 2012 09:48 Go to next message
GRINCH is currently offline  GRINCH
Novice Contributor
Ok, what am I missing. I have a couple older T/C Contender frames that I have had for years. I have shot several round barrels with these frames and never had a problem. Recently I picked up a couple used Octagon barrels from two different people. One in a .222 and the other in a .256. Both of these barrels initialy appear to lock up fine. I shoot one round through it and then neither one want to break open. I have to tear the gun apart to break it open. What the heck is causing this and what can I do to fix it? I do have the proper octagon forearm on it. I am a bit of a novice with these Contenders. It is probably something simple but I am just missing it. Any info GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks Guys
Re: Contender won't open w Octagon barrel [message #16427 is a reply to message #16425] Thu, 29 November 2012 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
You'll find several threads on this (hard to open)... you're culprit is very likely single style locking bolts. The easiest way to confirm this is swap the one in an octagon barrel with the one from your bull barrel and see what happens.

http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=71 15&&srch=hard+open#msg_7115

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Contender won't open w Octagon barrel [message #16473 is a reply to message #16427] Fri, 30 November 2012 09:50 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
You say you have a couple "older" model Contender frames. Just to help out, please "define" what you mean by "older model". There are basically 4 distinct models. 1) original G-1 has a simple hammer with rotary bushing to select center/rimfire firing pins. 2. "Cross-bolt" safety which still has the rotary firing pin selection bushing, but a "square peg" safety which when shifted side to side engages/disengages a pin that protrudes from the hammer face. 3. "swing selector" hammer which has a lever on top to select center-fire/safe/rimfire. 4. The G-2 frame which has a thicker frame portion along the top of the frame, similar in appearance to the Encore model, and a similar hammer with #3, lever firing pin selector/safety. Barrels can be generally one of two basic types. The earliest had flat-bottomed hinge lugs, and single piece locking bolts. Second type has two-piece locking bolts and has a "step" on the bottom of the hinge lug. Whether or not the barrel is octagonal or round bull barrels is pretty insignificant since the "step" and one/2-piece locking bolts were available in both types. SOME have reported that they have a #1 type frame and "have to" have the step milled off the bottom of the hinge lug to eliminate problems with barrel use, others swap out locking bolts (single to two piece or the reverse) to eliminate this "freezing up problem". Others "stone" off a little material off the top surface of the locking bolts to get the bolts to slide further in to release the hammer block safety because their barrels won't fire when used. The two-piece lug was an effort by T/C to get more reliable lock up, but doesn't seem to work as well as they had hoped.
Of my frames, the #2 frame type gives me the most problems with the newer 2-piece locking bolt/stepped lug barrels. However, I've never had the problem with failure to open, just failure to fire.
Jim
Previous Topic: 5mm
Next Topic: 20 ga Slug Barell
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 12:56:26 EDT 2024