Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Tell me it isn't so!
Tell me it isn't so! [message #17260] Thu, 20 December 2012 22:54 Go to next message
Hammertime is currently offline  Hammertime
Forum Newbie
I was at a gun store today and they said Thompson was dropping the Encore 243 barrel.
Re: Tell me it isn't so! [message #17267 is a reply to message #17260] Fri, 21 December 2012 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

I don't know.. have you called to verify?
Re: Tell me it isn't so! [message #17269 is a reply to message #17267] Fri, 21 December 2012 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
I just don't see that happening, but who knows.
Re: Tell me it isn't so! [message #17294 is a reply to message #17269] Sat, 22 December 2012 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

lepcur wrote on Fri, 21 December 2012 08:55
I just don't see that happening, but who knows.

They probably had one on the shelf they wanted to sell.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Tell me it isn't so! [message #17298 is a reply to message #17294] Sat, 22 December 2012 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
I understand that T/C is dropping the 28" pro Hunter barrel. If so, that would mean the .243 in that barrel as well. If OP had inquired about one, that's what they could mean. Not all .243's, just the 28"

Jim
Re: Tell me it isn't so! [message #17306 is a reply to message #17298] Sat, 22 December 2012 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AlaskaBill is currently offline  AlaskaBill
Forum Newbie
Going to Cabela's website and Midway and just about every main dealer, I see very few barrels of any kind for sale. (some close out 204, 17HMR and 243 pistol barrels) ... As S&W folk now run all TC business, I wonder if there will be any future Encore and Contender line up at all...The black powder only (mail order OK product may be safe) just because of big store sales. Maybe just low year end inventory, but I am concerned, Smith should be making ARs like there is no tomorrow. Sad times. Bill Sad
Re: Tell me it isn't so! [message #17308 is a reply to message #17306] Sat, 22 December 2012 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
I don't doubt the contender's going to be around much longer. S&W is probaqbly highly run by bean-counters, and duplicity just don't hack it. Why offer an almost identical "weakling" when the encore can handle a lot more. S&W never was much on single shots, even back in the 1800's. They rebranded some imports off and on, rifles, shotguns and the like, but even they came and were soon gone. They'll sample around with different chamberings, barrel lengths, etc a weed out the less popular or lower profit margin. Soon they'll dictate what few chambers we'll be allowed to shoot.
With all the sensless slaughter with guns the past few years I think they see the handwriting on the wall, and Guns like the AR for civilian use are gonna be eliminated. "High" capacity handguns have a chance to be eliminated as well, and that's part of their current and for 30 years bread and butter. These guns are single shots, and maybe they hope they'll escape nasty regulation or bans, and could well become their best source of staying alive as a corporation.
Jim
Re: Tell me it isn't so! [message #17310 is a reply to message #17308] Sat, 22 December 2012 20:03 Go to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Jim,
You may have a point there regarding the Contenders, but I'm not going to rule them completely out until I see a press release or hear it from T/C / S&W. However, I can't say I agree with the assessment on duplicity, given that S&W carries 4 different sizes of revolver frames, going from the .22, .38, and .357's in the J and K/L frame revolvers, .41, .44, and .45 in the N frame, and .460 and .500 in the X frame (smallest to largest). I think that if anything, S&W might see the Contender / Encore in the same way - a small frame offering for the smaller calibers, and a large frame offering for the larger calibers.

I'm looking at this optimistically, even though I might have that same feeling as you do regarding what S&W does with the brand. I'm hoping for the best.

To me, the Encore is the single shot version of the AR when it comes to building one. I can't think of any other firearm that can compare to an AR in that you can modify them to fit your needs. You can do with a variety of different barrel sizes in various calibers. You can add different forearms to them, and we even have our choices of stock, even going so far as to have Choate offer a M-4 style collapsable stock for it.

I'd actually like to see S&W take T/C to the next level. We had the Contender, then they did an Encore. How about a T/C Maximum? Beefier frame with a Blackhawk KNOXX recoil reducing stock, better locking lugs, factory hanger bar system already installed in the forearm, chambered in some WSM, WSSM, and maybe even some big boys like the .338 Lapua. Smile Hey... I know I'm dreamin', but if I'm going to dream, I'll dream big!

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Previous Topic: Howdy
Next Topic: 2x or 4x
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 01:26:12 EDT 2024