Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Newbie looking for advice
Newbie looking for advice [message #17482] Thu, 27 December 2012 13:47 Go to next message
jmiles007 is currently offline  jmiles007
Novice Contributor
Hi All,

I started out shopping for an Encore or Pro Hunter muzzleloader with hopes of expanding to centerfire later, and was fortunate enough to stumble onto this site. I have been struggling with the same decisions that a lot of other people have regarding the extra features of the Pro Hunter vs the extra cost.

After spending a couple of days surfing the various discussions, I am now considering trying to purchase components independently and building my own rifle. So, now I'm leaving an open ended question. Please share any opinions or experiences you have with the various options, especially the thumbhole vs standard flexteck stocks and the quick release breech plugs and rotating extractors.

While I'm new to the world of Encores, I have enjoyed owning a Contender chambered in .223 for over 20 years, so I'm familiar with the basic components and operation.

Thanks, and I truly welcome any and all input, good or bad. Please don't hold back. I plan to post a WTB ad once I get a better idea of what I think is important to ask for.

Jerry
Re: Newbie looking for advice [message #17503 is a reply to message #17482] Fri, 28 December 2012 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SuperKirby is currently offline  SuperKirby
Novice Contributor
I think it depends on what you want to do. About a year and a half ago I was in the same boat as you and after looking at pricing figured I could get one cheaper by assembling it from parts. Shortly after deciding that I found an original stainless Pro Hunter that was being clearanced out so the store could stock the weathershield frames. I ended up getting that for slightly less than what I could buy the new parts for.
A few months ago a friend bought an Encore assembly and ended up buying parts and going that route. I think he ended up saving quite a bit of money going that route.
If I was going to do it again now, I would buy an individual frame, a Bergara muzzleloader barrel, and a stock set from Tony's Forends & Grips. The money saved on the Bergara barrel would mostly offset the cost of the stock, and my understanding is it's a better barrel.
Re: Newbie looking for advice [message #17590 is a reply to message #17503] Sun, 30 December 2012 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

I love the thumb hole flex tech stock. Makes the recoil go straight back instead of straight up.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 January 2013 16:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Newbie looking for advice [message #17698 is a reply to message #17590] Wed, 02 January 2013 16:11 Go to previous message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I like a thumb hole stock for shooting off a bench. Where you are taking your time. In a hunting situation I am not so fond of them. I don't like to have to take my thumb out of the hole to cock the hammer and then put it back in the hole. In a hunting situation that takes too much time and concentration away from sighting and following your intended target. They do make the gun recoil differently and really are more comfortable to shoot, but just cumber-sum to me.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Previous Topic: Favorite Gun Cleaners
Next Topic: Pistol grip on rifle frame
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 16:41:58 EDT 2024