Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Sizing for Encore
Sizing for Encore [message #18011] Fri, 11 January 2013 04:08 Go to next message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
What do you find works best,full length or neck sizing?
7-08 and 270 recently acquired.
Wondering which dies I should get.
Thinking about follow type neck dies but not too familiar with them.
Re: Sizing for Encore [message #18034 is a reply to message #18011] Fri, 11 January 2013 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I personally use only full length dies. After sizing the case to match the chamber I back off the die enough to only size the neck. Once in while it may be necessary to bump the shoulder back a little bit to make the case fit the chamber better. Just what I do and may be right or wrong. It works for me.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Sizing for Encore [message #18036 is a reply to message #18034] Fri, 11 January 2013 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
A very long time ago, in the Varmint Hunter magazine issue #4, they got Joe Wright (then president of the TC Association) wrote a two part article. He explained that he'd have accuracy problems around the 4th or 5th firing of a neck sized case. His experiments showed that 3/4 sizing (enough to bump the shoulder and squeeze the case wall). About 20 years later I read where Mike Bellm suggests bumping the should back just enough to get a case back into the barrel and minimize the amount of sizing done. I've tried to follow these guidelines for all these years. Does it help? Heck if I know

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Sizing for Encore [message #18039 is a reply to message #18036] Fri, 11 January 2013 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Guess I should have answered your question though...

If you take a look at your Encore or Contender from the side, you'll see that when you fire it that the only way for the frame and barrel to flex is by opening up a bit at the top (as far as the locking lugs will allow). This means that there is a tiny bit more room for the case to expand at the top of the chamber than there is at the bottom. Since neck sizing cannot "fix" this you should get a full length set. You can use a neck sizer until you see accuracy start to fall off (around five or so loadings) to extend case life.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Sizing for Encore [message #18044 is a reply to message #18011] Sat, 12 January 2013 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rr1220 is currently offline  rr1220
Forum Newbie
i use full length on all contender and encores i load for,i check the headspace and set my dies accordingly to keep HS around .001-.002 using bellm's dial indicator, after each firing the shoulder needs bumped back .003-.004,as with all things reloading,consistency counts,i have got 12 loadings on my 6.5 tcu test cases and currently at 6 loadings on my match cases

[Updated on: Sat, 12 January 2013 05:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Sizing for Encore [message #18045 is a reply to message #18044] Sat, 12 January 2013 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
Thanks guys. I'll go with full size dies .
I always 3/4 sized my 35 rem cases and that seemed to work ok.
Bumped the shoulder back a tad too far on a test round and had a few missiles,but figured it out after a while.
Re: Sizing for Encore [message #18152 is a reply to message #18045] Mon, 14 January 2013 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
The guys above are probably right, I did the shoulder bump back thing first on my 7-30 waters then started neck sizing. Not sure on the brass life yet. I did anneal some of them to aid in life. I like neck sizeing because for the Lee neck size die, you don't have to lube. Makes it much easier to prep the cases. For me accuracy didn't seem to change that I could tell.
Re: Sizing for Encore [message #19643 is a reply to message #18152] Thu, 14 February 2013 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pcpharm is currently offline  Pcpharm
Novice Contributor
Forster products makes a bushing bump neck resizing die. I like to use these. Can't tell yet what max firings are still using the cases.
Pcp
Re: Sizing for Encore [message #19881 is a reply to message #19643] Thu, 21 February 2013 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sawfish is currently offline  Sawfish
Forum Newbie
If you buy the Redding Deluxe Die Set, it includes both FL and NS dies. Neck sizing works just fine for me in my 30/06 and 25/06 Pro-Hunter barrels.
Re: Sizing for Encore [message #26815 is a reply to message #19881] Tue, 24 December 2013 18:26 Go to previous message
ncdrummer is currently offline  ncdrummer
Forum Newbie
I love Lee collet dies. Very accurate loads result.
Previous Topic: 460s&w ballistics from 20" bbl?
Next Topic: Good Contender loads for 45-70 Govt.?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:06:45 EDT 2024