Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » 209x50 custom shop barrel
209x50 custom shop barrel [message #17697] Wed, 02 January 2013 15:11 Go to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

I picked up a custom shop 209x50 barrel used off a website a couple years ago...

This barrel seems tight... I have a second 209x50 barrel (non-custom shop) and it loads like a deam.

The custom-shop barrel is pretty stiff to load, no matter what...

any ideas why?
Re: 209x50 custom shop barrel [message #17764 is a reply to message #17697] Fri, 04 January 2013 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Bore diameter of .50 MLs is known to vary quite a bit. That is one reason you have to experiment with various bullets and sabots to get an accurate load. You'll get several thousanths of an inch difference between varous combinations. Somewhere, I saw a website that showed the actual diameter of various combinations but I can't recall where I saw it.
Re: 209x50 custom shop barrel [message #17766 is a reply to message #17764] Fri, 04 January 2013 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SuperKirby is currently offline  SuperKirby
Novice Contributor
From what I've read TC muzzleloader barrels have quite a bit of variance in bore sizes. When I got my pro hunter barrell it was pretty tight and you could see tooling marks in the barrel. I used JB's Bore Paste and after about 200 strokes with it on an oiled patch it looked a lot better. Most of the bullet/sabot combos fit down pretty smoothly afterwards as well. Might give it a shot.
Re: 209x50 custom shop barrel [message #17927 is a reply to message #17766] Wed, 09 January 2013 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Admin

I've never tried bore paste, might have to give it a shot!
Re: 209x50 custom shop barrel [message #18273 is a reply to message #17927] Tue, 15 January 2013 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Eric,
If you are shooting sabot rounds, the thickness of the actual sabot can have a lot to do with it. My old CVA Optima loaded PowerPelts as smooth as could be. When I bought my T/C Triumph, I tried the same bullets and couldn't get them to load. Way too tight. After a shot or two, it was impossible to seat another one. I tried different sabot enclosed bullets, but they all seemed to load about the same. I started noticing that most of them had the same black sabot, or at least appeared to be the same. Someone suggested that I try the green "Harvester" sabot's in their place. At the time, I think I bought them from Cabelas, but this is a link to their website:

http://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/index.php?page=shop.br owse&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid= 3&vmcchk=1&Itemid=3

The thickness of the sabot makes a good amount of difference. The Harvesters worked well for me, and were an inexpensive solution. However, I have to admit that I never did get the accuracy I wanted out of that muzzleloader, no matter what bullet / powder combo I used. The CVA could cloverleaf 3 shots. Never got them to touch with the Triumph.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: 209x50 custom shop barrel [message #18286 is a reply to message #18273] Tue, 15 January 2013 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Admin

I was thinking about trying the crush ribbed sabots, I'll have to give them a whirl before I send this barrel "on it's way" Smile

these were the ones i was thinking of trying (and the ones you mention)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Harvestor-Crush-Rib-Sabots-Pe r-50/740770.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2F search.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%2 6Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dcrush%2Brib%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz _l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=crush+rib& WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
Re: 209x50 custom shop barrel [message #18310 is a reply to message #18286] Wed, 16 January 2013 14:51 Go to previous message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
I still think you should try either bore paste or Flitz (I think Flitz is the more aggressive one but I could have it backwards). A hundred or so strokes with it might just polish it nicely for you.
Previous Topic: Contender Buttstock Length ??
Next Topic: Legal question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 21:25:36 EDT 2024