Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Mixed results at the range on Sunday (Sunday shooting)
Mixed results at the range on Sunday [message #18349] Thu, 17 January 2013 09:04 Go to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
I took two encores to the range on Sunday. First was a pistol with a new-to-me 7mm-08 barrel and an also new-to-me Burris posilock scope. I thought I had it bore sighted good enough but nooo. I couldn't even hit paper at 75 yds. So, I back it up to 25. I was way low so I adjusted up enough to were it was "close enough". On the next cold range, I pushed the target out to 75 and tried again. 3 shots later I was still way off with groups that look like a shotgun blast.

I'm certainly no expert pistol shot but I can ususally do better than that so I'm starting to suspect that I've got some movement somewhere in the scope or mount. Time at the range is running out so the pistol goes back into the case to try again another day.

Now comes the rifle. I took off the muzzleloader barrel and put on the 30-06 barrel. I've got 4 weekend hog hunts in the next two months and I'm switching from my normal 165gr to 180gr. I didn't have another cold range to move the target out to 100 yds, so I'm stuck doing it at 75. First shot is 1/4" low and 1/2" right of the center X. I adjust the scope one click up and two clicks left and have only 30 seconds left before they call cold range. Next shot totally splits the X - right in the middle. OK, I'm done.

This barrel seems to absolutely love 180s. And get this - they are the blue-box Federal Classics. The cheapest stuff Walmart sells at $17/box.
Re: Mixed results at the range on Sunday [message #18350 is a reply to message #18349] Thu, 17 January 2013 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

very nice. I user pencil on my scopes to make sure its not moving, etc..
Re: Mixed results at the range on Sunday [message #18358 is a reply to message #18350] Thu, 17 January 2013 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Doyle,

"new-to-me" scope: Used? Did you get the "instruction" sheet with it as well? Posi-loc scopes are a PITA to sight in, but once done are well worth the effort. Just curious, what base and rings are you using?
Jim
Re: Mixed results at the range on Sunday [message #18363 is a reply to message #18358] Thu, 17 January 2013 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
I didn't get an instruction sheet, but I checked on the internet. One thing that I'm going to try next time is to lock it between adjustments (I had left it unlocked). For base and rings, that may be an issue. I'm using a Weaver style base and Redfield rings. I know I could do better there but they seem to be tight (I use locktite in all my screws).
Re: Mixed results at the range on Sunday [message #18375 is a reply to message #18363] Thu, 17 January 2013 18:56 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
ouch, there's your answer (most likely). That's what I meant about being a PITA. You have to unlock and re-lock for every adjustment. I hope whoever sold you the scope at least included the tool(flat flat blade screwdriver). When you unlock, be sure to loosen the set-screw more than what you'll adjust the reticle, don't just barely unlock. Leaving it unlocked will let it float all over He!!. Also don't use more than just two fingers when you re-tighten, too many people must have been using pliers, etc., and crushing the inner tube, so they've been offering the posi-loc on fewer models. Personally, I avoid weaver style bases. Burris signature rings (even just 2) hold excellently, and keep the tube from getting marred. I loc-tite base screws, but never did ring screws, and have yet had a ring fail to hold tight. Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes next trip to the range.
Jim
Previous Topic: good, bad. i just dont know.
Next Topic: Film dipped frame
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 21:21:12 EDT 2024