Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Legal question
Legal question [message #18337] Thu, 17 January 2013 03:53 Go to next message
biggredd1972 is currently offline  biggredd1972
Forum Newbie
Is it legal to shorten a rifled slug barrel to pistol length use it on a pistol frame with pistol grip?
Something like the Taurus Judge but in 20 or 12ga.
Re: Legal question [message #18341 is a reply to message #18337] Thu, 17 January 2013 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WV338 is currently offline  WV338
Forum Regular
Forum Moderator
You would need to check your state's laws. For example in my state I believe that a shotgun barrel can't be shorter than 18". That is why the Judge is illegal here.

Whisper Ventures
355th TFW
Re: Legal question [message #18344 is a reply to message #18341] Thu, 17 January 2013 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
The Judge is legal because it has rifling in the barrel. I personally don't see anything against what you are doing as long as you make sure of two things. 1 - make sure it is a rifled barrel (smoothbores less than 18" are what cause issues). 2 - make sure it is sitting on a pistol frame and never has a buttstock (long buttstock would make it an SBR).

However, just because I don't see anything wrong is not legal justification for doing so.
Re: Legal question [message #18345 is a reply to message #18344] Thu, 17 January 2013 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Doyle wrote on Thu, 17 January 2013 07:24
The Judge is legal because it has rifling in the barrel. I personally don't see anything against what you are doing as long as you make sure of two things. 1 - make sure it is a rifled barrel (smoothbores less than 18" are what cause issues). 2 - make sure it is sitting on a pistol frame and never has a buttstock (long buttstock would make it an SBR).

However, just because I don't see anything wrong is not legal justification for doing so.

I agree with Doyle but I would get in contact with BATF and a written reply would be good to have if you decide to do this. Just my thoughts.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Legal question [message #18347 is a reply to message #18345] Thu, 17 January 2013 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Shotguns are their own animal in the firearms world, that's why you can't buy a 45/410 pistol barrel in California. You will definitely have to check what's legal in your state and local area as well. Or you could just buy a 500 S&W Smile

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Legal question [message #18351 is a reply to message #18347] Thu, 17 January 2013 09:09 Go to previous message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

EncoreClassifieds is not a source for legal information. Thanks Smile
Previous Topic: 209x50 custom shop barrel
Next Topic: Pillar Bedding
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 20:30:34 EDT 2024