Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Converting a rifle to a pistol - Is it legal (????)
Converting a rifle to a pistol - Is it legal [message #18264] Tue, 15 January 2013 19:07 Go to next message
jmiles007 is currently offline  jmiles007
Novice Contributor
Hi All,

Being a long time Contender owner, but knowing very little about Encores, I have been doing a lot of research into the various models and combinations that are available now. Back in the days of Contenders, we were always told that they could legally be made into a rifle and later changed back into a pistol because all of them were registered as handguns since that's how they left the factory. As I started to look at Encores and Pro Hunters, I never gave any thought into whether the inverse was true.

Having found Mike Bellm's web site to be a wealth of good information, I have spent literally hours looking through the various pages and links that are available there, and in the process of doing so, I stumbled upon this page http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=239 Being a serious shooter who wants to stay out of trouble, I considered this information to be quite an eye opener.

In the short time I have been on this forum, I have gained a lot of respect for many of you guys here who have, God only knows how many, collective years of experience with TC products, and I would like to hear your opinions. I have posted a WTB ad for a pistol frame, but I have had people ask if I don't realize that all Encore frames are interchangeable. So, what does everyone else here think? Am I (and them) being too cautious? Is this something that no one will ever worry about, or could it lead to someone getting into serious trouble without ever realizing it? And most importantly, if I get someone wanting to sell me a frame that they say came from a pistol or even a complete pistol, does anyone know if there is a way to check the serial # to see if it came out that way?

I'm certainly not trying to start a panic, but since this is a discussion board, let's discuss.

Thanks and good shooting,

Jerry
Re: Converting a rifle to a pistol - Is it legal [message #18267 is a reply to message #18264] Tue, 15 January 2013 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
Short answer is that this has been a huge area of controversy. Even the BATF won't give a straight answer.
Re: Converting a rifle to a pistol - Is it legal [message #18268 is a reply to message #18267] Tue, 15 January 2013 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jmiles007 is currently offline  jmiles007
Novice Contributor
They do present a 2011 update at the bottom of the page, but I don't have enough lawyer in me to follow it to a conclusion. Maybe someone else has heard or seen a plain language interpretation.
Re: Converting a rifle to a pistol - Is it legal [message #18271 is a reply to message #18268] Tue, 15 January 2013 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Pretty cut and dry "plain language interpretation" at the very top of the page you listed. For those who haven't clicked on it, here is the jest of it, summed up in the first two sentences:

From Mike Bellm's website: "Any way you stack it, it is technically a violation of the 1934 National Firearms Act to convert a TC from rifle configuration to handgun. Best advice is to have one frame purchased as a handgun, dedicated to handgun use, and one frame dedicated to rifle use."

It's what I've been telling people from day one, but people still want to find a way around it, or discuss it, or challenge it, etc...

Here's the deal:

1) Will anyone from the ATF / BATF / BATFE (whatever they are called these days) show up at the gun range or your house to check the serial number on your T/C Encore pistol is actually shipped from the factory as a pistol? Probably not.

2) Do you care?

If you do, then do like Mike Bellm wrote (and I do) and purchase a pistol frame for your pistol, and a rifle frame for your rifle. Two frames. Not that much to ask, considering most T/C owners buy multiple frames and barrels anyway. Then store your pistol frame with your pistol barrels and rifle frame with your rifle barrels. Don't mix and match them. ATF shows up and does that one in a million inspection - You're covered.

If no, then why ask? Just do what you were going to do anyway, because you are just going to continue question it until you get the answer you want. But when that one in a million inspection comes up, just remember - You were warned, and you chose to do your own thing.

3) The ATF are the people that will prosecute you. So their opinion, no matter how confusing, will be the one that counts. The defense of, "Well, johnnylawyer563 on Findmealoophole.com said that it was legal" won't stand up in court. I promise.

This is my personal view on the subject, and does not represent the views of this website, it's Administrator, or my fellow Moderators.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Tue, 15 January 2013 20:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Converting a rifle to a pistol - Is it legal [message #18277 is a reply to message #18271] Tue, 15 January 2013 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
what he said Wink

I have two as well

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!

[Updated on: Tue, 15 January 2013 21:12]

Re: Converting a rifle to a pistol - Is it legal [message #18282 is a reply to message #18277] Tue, 15 January 2013 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I only have one and it is set up as a rifle, I only have rifle barrels and really only plan on having rifle barrels. I do plan on another frame, but it too will be a rifle.
My day of having the rompin stompin big boomers is long gone. Arthritis has brought that to an end. My Contenders are barreled with much more moderate calibers now.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Converting a rifle to a pistol - Is it legal [message #18296 is a reply to message #18282] Wed, 16 January 2013 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I will add that in 30+ years (can I really be that old?) of shooting Contenders and Encores, no one has ever come up to me and asked, commented, pestered, or checked on what I was doing or had at the range. I even had a local SWAT cop come up and ask to shoot a short barrel 22-250 AI (16" on the dot) that I had out - that one had me a bit nervous, until he asked if it was for sale.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Converting a rifle to a pistol - Is it legal [message #18305 is a reply to message #18296] Wed, 16 January 2013 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I would be willing to bet that the average TC owner knows more about the law than the majority of LE does. Maybe even more so than a lot of the BATF field agents. Besides, in my state, there is no gun registration so unless they catch me at the range, they do not know I even have one. Smile
Re: Converting a rifle to a pistol - Is it legal [message #18307 is a reply to message #18305] Wed, 16 January 2013 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
about the only time they will ask/check what the status is of the frame is if:
1) You put a rifle stock on with a pistol barrel (in public)
2) You did something sooo bad that they're going after every year they can add to your sentence
3) Mouthed off at the wrong time to the Game Warden/LEO - and he knows the law

going back to cajun though, two is better than one.

Also, I always make sure I have a rifle barrel available to put on my stocked frame. I never want to be in the position of having to explain why I have a pistol frame and a rifle frame and only pistol barrels present. (I keep the two frames in the same case) Yes, it's being paranoid.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 January 2013 13:14]

Re: Converting a rifle to a pistol - Is it legal [message #18353 is a reply to message #18307] Thu, 17 January 2013 09:12 Go to previous message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

EncoreClassifieds is not a source for legal information Smile
Previous Topic: Pillar Bedding
Next Topic: 357 Max barrel length?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 23:39:31 EDT 2024