Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Best pistol load for deer and recoil?
Best pistol load for deer and recoil? [message #18443] Sat, 19 January 2013 09:39 Go to next message
countryboy13 is currently offline  countryboy13
Novice Contributor
looking for caliber that will do the job deer but not beast to shoot. most of my shots are under 150 yards
Re: Best pistol load for deer and recoil? [message #18444 is a reply to message #18443] Sat, 19 January 2013 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masterloader is currently offline  masterloader
Novice Contributor
Do you have a cartridge restriction in your state? Like can you use rifle cartridges such as bottle necks? If you can I love the 7-08 with a 130gr bullets. Also the 243 works good.

[Updated on: Sat, 19 January 2013 09:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Best pistol load for deer and recoil? [message #18445 is a reply to message #18444] Sat, 19 January 2013 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

375 winchester, and legal in all states that do not allow bottlenecked cartridges...
Re: Best pistol load for deer and recoil? [message #18451 is a reply to message #18445] Sat, 19 January 2013 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
.357 Rem max, .35 Rem, 7TCU, 7-30 Waters, just to add a few more to the mix.
Jim
Re: Best pistol load for deer and recoil? [message #18454 is a reply to message #18445] Sat, 19 January 2013 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
countryboy13 is currently offline  countryboy13
Novice Contributor
thanks guys not familiar with 375 Winchester or 357 max recoil is my main concern
Re: Best pistol load for deer and recoil? [message #18455 is a reply to message #18454] Sat, 19 January 2013 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masterloader is currently offline  masterloader
Novice Contributor
Also do you reload or do you want to use factory ammo? That will make a difference on what barrel to get also.
Re: Best pistol load for deer and recoil? [message #18457 is a reply to message #18455] Sat, 19 January 2013 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

The 357 Max is just a 357 mag on steroids; it is lengthened and is quite a good cartridge as is the 30/30 Win. I can not attest to the recoil of either of these, but can speak to the recoil of the 35 Rem. It is a great cartridge for deer out 125 or so yards. I have killed many deer with a 35 Remington. The recoil is stiff but but by no means real bad. I had to give up my 35 due to Arthritis in all my major joints. My wrists could not tolerate the 35 anymore. It is a hammer on Whitetail in Missouri woods. Truthfully the longest shot I made with it was about 125 yards and the buck was DRT. The first on I shot with it, well I almost gave up on it. I shot a nice buck at about 20 yards and it knocked it over like a bowling ball, but when I approached it ; it jumped up and ran for at least 200 hundred, but was down at that point. I had aimed for the spine in the neck area and had missed the spine by a couple of inches. It did leave a blood trail but being familiar with the trails and such I knew where it was going, so really did not need the blood, but it always helps. I did keep the barrel and in short never had to do that again. The 35 is a really good cartridge in a 14 inch Contender for brush and moderate range.
Hope this is of some help. If you have questions please ask.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Best pistol load for deer and recoil? [message #18458 is a reply to message #18457] Sat, 19 January 2013 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

think of the 375 remington as a straight-walled 30-30 Smile 220 grain bullet, almost 2000fps
Re: Best pistol load for deer and recoil? [message #18477 is a reply to message #18458] Sun, 20 January 2013 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
groove is currently offline  groove
Forum Newbie
if your recoil sensative, try finding one of the hunter barrels that have the muzzlebrake installed. I have several of these including 223, 7x30 waters, 30-30, 309 jdj (rechambered 30-30), 35 rem, 45-70. good luck jim
Re: Best pistol load for deer and recoil? [message #18483 is a reply to message #18477] Sun, 20 January 2013 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
I'm kinda partial to the 243 and the 7mm-08 as well in a pistol. The recoil isn't bad at all and with good shot placement they'll do you good on deer alot further than the ranges you're speaking of. I'd stay away from the muzzle brakes as they are loud, I don't wear hearing protection while hunting. JMO Mike
Re: Best pistol load for deer and recoil? [message #18490 is a reply to message #18483] Sun, 20 January 2013 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Quote:
I don't wear hearing protection while hunting.

Sorry to hijack, but when I saw this, I wanted to reply with a recommendation. I know a lot of guys that say this. They don't wear hearing protection while in the woods because they don't want to miss out on the sounds. I started wearing amplified / electronic hearing protection while out hunting. Normal sounds (squirrels scampering around, deer cracking one little twig in the distance, etc...) are all amplified. When the gun goes off, the noise protection kicks in and I don't make myself deaf inside my blind, where the sound is all concentrated.

This is the model I like:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/671923/howard-leight-impact -sport-electronic-earmuffs-nrr-22-db-green?cm_vc=wishList

I've got two pairs now, and my family of three fight over who gets them at the range, so I just ordered another from Midway yesterday.

All the best,
Glenn

By the way - my preferred pistol caliber is 7mm-08, but I haven't taken a deer with my pistol yet, so I can't comment on the round from a pistol. I'm sure it will get the job done though. Good variety of bullet sizes, although my favorite for accuracy is a 139 grain Hornady.

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Sun, 20 January 2013 11:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Best pistol load for deer and recoil? [message #18497 is a reply to message #18490] Sun, 20 January 2013 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
manitou1 is currently offline  manitou1
Forum Newbie
7mm-08 is an awesome round... and a deer "hammer!" I've shot one for years in a rifle and have become very fond of it. I now have one in the 15" barreled TC Pro Hunter handgun and the recoil is very manageable in that barrel length. The shorter barrels can be LOUD and kick pretty bad... in many of the rifle calibers. The 15" makes things much more reasonable. Killed a nice wild boar last weekend with one @80 yards.
Previous Topic: What is best
Next Topic: Another Contender find!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 19:41:43 EDT 2024