Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » extractor spring fix
extractor spring fix [message #18900] Mon, 28 January 2013 18:45 Go to next message
biggredd1972 is currently offline  biggredd1972
Forum Newbie
Recently bought a barrel that had a missing extractor spring looked for one online, but the only one I found was sold out(Numrich.com), so I made one out of a old lawn mower motor recoil starter spring. It's a little stiff but no failure to extract.
Re: extractor spring fix [message #18914 is a reply to message #18900] Mon, 28 January 2013 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

care to provide a little more detail? maybe photos?
Re: extractor spring fix [message #18915 is a reply to message #18900] Mon, 28 January 2013 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
biggredd1972 is currently offline  biggredd1972
Forum Newbie
I just cut a piece of the flat recoil spring(about the same length as original) was the same width as the extractor bent it a little like original spring would be. The first time I bent it to much (extractor wouldn't release the brass) so took it back apart and bent it back a little at a time till I got a good fit. It is so stiff that it's hard to push down with just your finger but will release brass without to any hassle. My other barrel you can push extractor down pretty easy. I didn't take pictures, just was looking for a temporary fix but looks like it may be permanent now.
Re: extractor spring fix [message #19343 is a reply to message #18915] Thu, 07 February 2013 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HandCannon85 is currently offline  HandCannon85
Forum Newbie
Hi,

It sounds like you may have fixed your issue however I recently purchased a 375 JDJ barrel and it was missing the extractor spring. I emailed T/C and they sent me one without any questions. I have had really good luck with their customer support.
Re: extractor spring fix [message #19344 is a reply to message #19343] Thu, 07 February 2013 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
When did T/C start using extractor springs on Rimmed Cartridges? All the Rimmed cartridge barrels for my contender have straight extracters, not the "angled bent" ones with curved leaf springs used with rim-less cases (like on my 7TCUs, .223). The 375 JDJ is based on the .444 Marlin parent case, and is thus a rimmed cartridge, so would "normally" not have an extractor spring. Unless they switched to using just the rim-less extractor for all cases at some point. The 375JDJ was offered in later G-2 barrels, is that when they made the switch?
Jim
Re: extractor spring fix [message #19516 is a reply to message #19344] Mon, 11 February 2013 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
That's a good question because I was under the impression that the rimmed cartridges did not use an extractor spring. However my extractor was very loose in the barrel and when I would chamber a 375 JDJ round the cartridge would slip right past the extractor causing the barrel not to close cause the extractor would be on top of the cartridge face. And even if the cartridge would chamber properly after it was shot the extractor wouldn't pull out the empty casing because it would slip out from underneath the rim of the casing. Ever since I installed the extractor spring everything is working correctly now and I have had zero problems with it.
Re: extractor spring fix [message #19517 is a reply to message #19516] Mon, 11 February 2013 10:04 Go to previous message
Forum Newbie
My 375 JDJ is an Encore configuration...

Cory
Previous Topic: Know anyone that does TC accurizing
Next Topic: does thr flextech stock actually flex?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 23:26:08 EDT 2024