Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Best way to determine OAL of cartridge
Best way to determine OAL of cartridge [message #18955] Tue, 29 January 2013 20:18 Go to next message
killerv is currently offline  killerv
Forum Newbie
Just ordered my first rifle barrel in 7mm08. I guess the upside to these single shots is not having to load to a magazine, and in that case... What is the best way to determine OAL? I have a Sinclair gauge for my bolt guns, but how do you do it for these single shots?

I have some benchmark and varget on hand, so I may start with one of those powders, hoping to come up with a good load with some Sierra 140 gamekings for some Ga whitetail and hogs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 January 2013 20:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Best way to determine OAL of cartridge [message #19134 is a reply to message #18955] Sat, 02 February 2013 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HHI6818 is currently offline  HHI6818
Novice Contributor
I made this setup. Purchased the collar and rod at local hardware. Drill out the primer pocket a little larger than the rod. Insert bullet in case, insert case in chamber, push rod in until it stops, tighten set screw on collar. Remove case bullet and measure the length subtract .250 inches (thickness of collar. Now you have the length of a round with the bullet touch the lands.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P9120008.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P9120009.JPG
Re: Best way to determine OAL of cartridge [message #19137 is a reply to message #19134] Sat, 02 February 2013 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
I just stick my cleaning rod in the closed barrel and when it touches the breech face wrap a piece of tape around the rod even with the end of the muzzle, now take your bullet and open the action and place the bullet in and give it a slight tap with the rod to engauge the rifleing and place the rod back in from the muzzle gently and wrap a piece of tape the same as you did before and take your caliper and measure. This is your max. length. Mike

[Updated on: Sat, 02 February 2013 20:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Best way to determine OAL of cartridge [message #19191 is a reply to message #19137] Sun, 03 February 2013 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
killerv is currently offline  killerv
Forum Newbie
Thanks!

I bet i can adapt my sinclair gage to a modified case to be a lot like posted above! Thanks again
Re: Best way to determine OAL of cartridge [message #19192 is a reply to message #19191] Sun, 03 February 2013 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WV338 is currently offline  WV338
Forum Regular
Forum Moderator
I've been slitting the neck down to the shoulder then pushing the bullet of my choice about halfway into the neck. Then I push the cartridge into chamber and close it slowly. Then I carefully remove it and measure it. I do this a couple of times to make sure I get consistent results.
It has worked on all my barrels.

Whisper Ventures
355th TFW
Re: Best way to determine OAL of cartridge [message #19269 is a reply to message #19192] Tue, 05 February 2013 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
This is going to sound a bit corney but I bought an OAL guage from Midway some time back... Cost just over 20 bucks... Put the bullet of my choice in the Caliber cartridge which is very slightly necked and push it in till it just touches the lands... Then measure and back it off .1000, this can be tightened or backed off more depending on the groups. Consistancy in seating, powder weight and case trim brings it all together... Nothing compares to time on the range when making 10 loads at a time...

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: Best way to determine OAL of cartridge [message #19284 is a reply to message #19269] Wed, 06 February 2013 07:12 Go to previous message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I drop the bullet in the barrel, then take my caliper (that also measures depth) and measure the distance from the bullet to the back of the barrel, add that to the length of the bullet, and you have max OAL for that bullet. Then subtract out the distance you want to be off the lands. I wished my bolt guns were this easy.
Previous Topic: Is my thinking correct??
Next Topic: 260 remington
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 09:19:30 EDT 2024