Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Decisions Decisions What Caliber MGM (220 Swift or 22-250)
Decisions Decisions What Caliber MGM [message #19681] Sat, 16 February 2013 11:58 Go to next message
Jeepin Bowhunter is currently offline  Jeepin Bowhunter
Forum Newbie
Ok guys, I am in a quandry. I got my new laminated Revolution stock set from Cabelas and it came the muzzleloader forearm which I needed and an estra rifle forearm. Now I am thinking I need to order a rifle barrel so the forearm doesn't go to waste Smile I have always liked the 220 Swift, but I don't reload yet, but I am leaning toward starting at some point. So I am think about going to plan B with the 22-250 because of ammo availability. It looks like Bellm doesn't really recomend it.

Quote:
( .22-250 is ok, but its highly tapered case and thin brass make it less desirable for the stretchy break action Encore.)

Can any of you folks shed a little light? And Input from anyone shooting the swift and/or the 22-250 (especially in an MGM barrel) would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to include bragging rights target pictures Very Happy

Thanks!!
Kevin

Life's to short to hunt with an ugly gun.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 February 2013 12:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Decisions Decisions What Caliber MGM [message #19686 is a reply to message #19681] Sat, 16 February 2013 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I have no experience with the 220, but the 22-250 was a favorite of mine. I bought a factory barrel and then bought a Bullberry in 22-250 Ackley Improved.

You don't say what you intend to do with it - hunt or varmints, and are you loading for velocity or accuracy? The 220 has a reputation for throat erosion since it's a lot of powder through a very small space. The 22-250 will have the same problem if you're pushing for 4Kfps velocities. If you're dead set on a 22 caliber, then get the 22-250AI, you can shoot factory rounds in it all day and once you start to reload you avoid the dreaded tapered case (AI is more of a straight wall case with a 40 degree shoulder).

If you're going for velocity and varmints, then take a look at the 20 calibers (20 Varminter - based on the 223) or the Ruger 204.

Hope this helps

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Decisions Decisions What Caliber MGM [message #19693 is a reply to message #19686] Sat, 16 February 2013 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I have owned an shot 22-250 in bolt guns and actually own one in an Encore barrel, but have not done much more that sight it in. I have fallen in love with the 223 and the 204 Ruger. The little 204 is a perfect round for such things as prairie dogs and such. I just recently shot a enlarged one hole group with the 204 at 100, while working up loads.
I would look more at the 22-250 just for the availability of ammo and somewhat less throat erosion. But for varmints a 204 or 223 will do anything it would with less powder, noise and recoil. In my 223 just about anything that I feed it shoots good, and the 22-250 that I used to have took a little more tinkering.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Decisions Decisions What Caliber MGM [message #19760 is a reply to message #19681] Mon, 18 February 2013 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Thanks for the input guys. I was looking for a yote / paper punching barrel, but I kind of side stepped the decision for now. I'll probably go for the 223 or 22-250AI eventually. I have to save my nickels for a bit. I bought a 26" barreled Ruger No.1-V in .220 Swift today.

JB

[Updated on: Mon, 18 February 2013 15:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Decisions Decisions What Caliber MGM [message #19762 is a reply to message #19760] Mon, 18 February 2013 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Doesn't look like you sidestepped the issue to me Wink
Looks like you done made up your mind

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Decisions Decisions What Caliber MGM [message #19801 is a reply to message #19762] Tue, 19 February 2013 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

I always wanted a swift... but i keep running into deals that empty my wallet elsewhere Wink
Re: Decisions Decisions What Caliber MGM [message #19944 is a reply to message #19762] Fri, 22 February 2013 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
Crubear wrote on Mon, 18 February 2013 16:08
Doesn't look like you sidestepped the issue to me Wink
Looks like you done made up your mind

Well I kinda did and kind of didn't Smile I did make the jump to the swift, but I didn't solve my decision on what to get next for the Encore. I have the 209/50 barrel and it shoots MOA with a 105 grains of Blackhorn 209 and Barnes 250 grain sabots, but I just have this unexplained "need" to add a rifle barrel for the Encore.

Getting the Ruger filled two of my wish list slots, a ruger No 1 and the a Swift.

Re: Decisions Decisions What Caliber MGM [message #19958 is a reply to message #19944] Sat, 23 February 2013 10:11 Go to previous message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

never in a man's life should he need to justify the cause for purchasing another firearm Smile
Previous Topic: What models / age do I have?
Next Topic: 223 to 22LR adaptor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 02:19:14 EDT 2024