Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » New T/C Encore Muzzleload Question
New T/C Encore Muzzleload Question [message #21019] Sun, 24 March 2013 11:35 Go to next message
everest is currently offline  everest
Forum Newbie
Folks,

I have a brand new T/C Encore Pro Hunter with their Muzzleloader barrel. I had it out to the range for the first time yesterday. BOY did I struggle with this gun (my other barrel too, but more no that in my next post!). Specifically the Muzzleloader was all over the paper. The very best groups I could manage were in the 5-6" range at 100 yards off a bench rest w/ sandbags. Here's the specifics:

I was shooting loose Triple 7 power, with charges of 90, 100, and 110 grains. Bullets were CVA Powerbelt 245 and 295 gr hollowpoints. 209 primers were by Remington specifical for muzzleloaders. No combination would produce a group less than 4" at 100 yards, and I suspect I just got lucky on those groups. Bullets were printing all over the place! I run a damp patch w/ T/C black powder bore cleaner followed by a clean dry patch between each shot.

I just spent about $100 on a wide variety of bullets for my next range trip. Specifically I have ordered packages of T/C Shockwave 250gr, T/C Cheap Shot 240gr sabots, Barnes 290gr Spitfire, T/C 250gr Shockwave Spire Points, and Hornady Lock-n-Load 250gr sabots. I'm going to try grouping all 5 starting with 100 grains of Triple7 and see what I get but wondered if anyone has any thoughts or recommendations. Help!! If I can't get results with this new selection I'll be totally stumped. I've shot black powder for a number of years and I've never seen a barrel so finicky.

The second problem was that 9 times out of 10 I couldn't cock the gun upon closing the barrel. Sometimes it required a tremendous slam to get it to cock. I can absolutely see forgetting to do this during hunting season and losing deer because of it. . .e.g. refusing to cock when the nice deer walks into the clearing. I guess I can just remember to check each time before I take it out, but this just doesn't seem reasonable to me for such an expensive firearm.

-Jeff

[Updated on: Sun, 24 March 2013 11:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New T/C Encore Muzzleload Question [message #21022 is a reply to message #21019] Sun, 24 March 2013 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Jeff,
Welcome to the site. Sorry you are having issues with a new firearm. Hopefully, we can help.

On your first issue, I would normally start off with a tutorial of how to go through the process of picking a bullet / powder / charge for the chosen firearm, but you don't sound like a newbie to blackpowder. I will point out that all of your bullets are 240 grain and above, and that you have only tried one type of powder.

I know the pickings are slim on bullet grain size, but have you considered shooting something like the lighter 200 grain shockwaves? Depending on the barrel twist rate, you might do better with the lighter bullets, and 200 grains still packs a large punch - probably with a flatter trajectory as well. If you are trying sabot bullets, I'd highly recommend swapping to the Harvester Crush Rib Sabots, and just throwing the original sabots away, no matter what bullet you are using.

Try some different powder as well. What worked extremely well in my CVA Optima (100 grains = 2 50 grain pellets of 777), didn't work at all for me in my T/C Triumph. I ended up settling on 90 grains of Pyrodex for that one, with loose 777 powder at 90 grains for the second most accurate load. I had originally tried the loose 777 powder at 100 grains in my CVA, and it didn't give me the same accuracy as the two 50 grain pellets. Odd - 100 grains of loose didn't equal 100 grains of pellets - but it did. I don't know why... but it did. I've also heard a lot of good things about Blackhorn lately, although I've never used it.

Crubear posted a nice tutorial on how to fix your second problem. Some would say that "I shouldn't have to do this to a new weapon". I partially agree, until you consider that T/C's firearms are some of the only ones on the market that you can switch barrels so quickly and effortlessly. Yes, there is also Rossi, and CVA, and I'm sure there are others. Do a search on them and you will quickly find that the T/C platforms are preferred over those majority of the time. So then I'm willing to put forth a little more effort. Smile Here is Crubears post:

http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&t h=5772&start=0&

I hope this helps.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: New T/C Encore Muzzleload Question [message #21024 is a reply to message #21022] Sun, 24 March 2013 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
everest is currently offline  everest
Forum Newbie
Glenn,

Thanks so much for the thoughful response. You are correct that I didn't try any other powders, but I do have Pyrodex, BlackMZ, and I will be getting a pound of Blackhorn for my next range trip as well. I've also received a suggestion to increase to 150 grains of Triple7 since I have a magnum barrel, but that will be just about the last thing I try. I'm not so fond of getting knocked off my tree stand by my rifle Smile

I had not considered using a lighter bullet but I will now add that to the list if things do not go well next time I can get the rifle out. I've got $100 in bullets in the mail right now so I'll work through those first, but that's something I hadn't considered so thank you again.

That reference page looks like exactly what I need. Indeed I would tend to think I shouldn't have to gunsmith my new $719 Muzzleloader but I will do it if that's what it takes to make it perform. It must be a tolerance issue because the problem does not manifest with my .223 barrel at all. Of course that barrel has another equally frustrating problem. . .more on that one later though. Grrrrr.

-Jeff

[Updated on: Sun, 24 March 2013 13:00]

Re: New T/C Encore Muzzleload Question [message #21060 is a reply to message #21024] Mon, 25 March 2013 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
1. Throw those Powerbelts in the garbage. I have seen far more barrels that sprayed them than I have that grouped them.
2. Clean your bore with a wet patch (including the breech plug area) after EVERY shot. I know it is a pain to remove the plug and swab but your patience will be well rewarded. This is the only way to ensure that your cold/clean shot on a deer will match where you sighted in.
3. Make sure you use the exact same tamping pressure with every shot. It is that kind of consistency that makes for good muzzleloading groups.

Using 100grn of loose 777, a 777 primer, and a 250 grn Hornady SST (same thing as a T/C shockwave) I can get groups that almost touch at 100 yds.
Re: New T/C Encore Muzzleload Question [message #21062 is a reply to message #21060] Mon, 25 March 2013 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geo158 is currently offline  Geo158
Novice Contributor
I have the Encore Pro Hunter. I've had good groups with Black Horn 209. I use CCI magnum primers, BH 90 grs by volume, Hornady .430 260 gr XTP .430 with a Green 504 Harvester sabot. Great thing about Black horn powder is you don't have to swab between shots. However I clean the breech plug with a thumb drill due to the buildup of soot from the primers.( this will effect ignition and group size) Do not use Remington primers with Black Horn Powder. If you scoped the rifle make sure the mount and rings are tight. Good Luck One other thing about closing the action. When I first got mine I was applying pressure inadvertently to the action release lever which caused a problem closing the action.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 March 2013 13:31]

Re: New T/C Encore Muzzleload Question [message #21063 is a reply to message #21062] Mon, 25 March 2013 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Since you already have the 250 gr Hornandy's give this a try... Use Triple seven pellets, 50 grain pellets. 2 pellets 100 grain in the summer or warm wx months and work up to 150 gr or 3 pellets in the cold months... No big recoil, my 14 yr old and wife both shoot this combo... You will be amazed at how the powder makes a difference... Last but not least, cut the stem off the Hornandy's sabot! Much more consistant ignition... Which ever way you go, have fun with your shooting... I do not run a fouling shot and only run a bore butter patch every 5 shots or so when barrel is new, under 100 shots...
Rick

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: New T/C Encore Muzzleload Question [message #21067 is a reply to message #21063] Mon, 25 March 2013 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
polariscountry500 is currently offline  polariscountry500
Novice Contributor
The load that I get the most accuracy from is a Dead Center Duplex bullet 195 grain, 100 grains of triple seven fffg, and variflame adapters. I can clover leaf at 100 yards with this combination off my lead sled. Atleast that's what my prohunter likes. Good luck on finding the right combination for your gun.
Re: New T/C Encore Muzzleload Question [message #21085 is a reply to message #21067] Mon, 25 March 2013 22:30 Go to previous message
sadiedog is currently offline  sadiedog
Forum Newbie
I have one muzzleloader that loves 150 grain 777 pellets with 223 powerbelts and another that love 100 grain 777 pellets with 223 powerbelts. Both shoot great
Previous Topic: Can you shoot 2 3/4" shells in a TC Turkey barrel that is 3" chamber?
Next Topic: Encore Pro Hunter vs Encore 20 gauge barrel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 06:29:21 EDT 2024