Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Encore (Constant misfires in various calibers)
icon9.gif  Encore [message #2114] Sat, 23 October 2010 20:13 Go to next message
sfloyd is currently offline  sfloyd
Forum Newbie
Hi I am new to this site as of 20 min ago. I have been shooting the Encore for quite a few years and absolutly love the gun. Before the Encore it was the Contender and still continue to shoot and hunt with that also.
I have used both to take about all species of game in N. America.

Recently I started having problems with misfires in all my cal. except for the muzzleloader. My frame hasa 2.5 lb trigger pull. It started when I had the hammer extension on. The firing pin strikes the primer but very inconsistent as far as penetration. I have sent the rifle back twice andthey are telling me that it's been corrected. It hasn't . Well I started reaserching and found this is not uncommon for the Encore. I found a site Bellim T/C. I feel he has the sution to the problem.
1. The encore comes with a stock 30 lb hammer spring. They feel the spring is to light with the hammer extension. They offer a 51 lb replacement spring that can eliminate misfires by adding more tension to the hammer.

2. The other resolve is to correct the headspacing either by proper resizing the cartridge if you reload. The other resolve was to shim the firing pin housing which I think that is the route I need to go.

T/C has sent me numerous springs now to correct the problem but its not working. So my question is am I headed the right direction ordering both springs and shims to correct this problem.
I look forward to hearing from other people who have had this similar situation.
Thanks
Steve

There are no bad musicians it's just that all musicians are good at what they do.
Re: Encore [message #2210 is a reply to message #2114] Fri, 05 November 2010 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ranger802 is currently offline  Ranger802
Forum Newbie
I would pass on any shimming as that is altering the fit, that in theory is correct from the factory. My advice would be to try the heavier spring first. One of my actions also has a misfire issue and I will be doing the spring thing as well..
Good luck..
Re: Encore [message #2211 is a reply to message #2210] Fri, 05 November 2010 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Encore28 is currently offline  Encore28
Novice Contributor
Steve
I myself do not have that problem BUT knew a friend from work who did and Mike Bellm straightened it out with one email.
Just my thought
Good Luck
Encore28
Re: Encore [message #6658 is a reply to message #2211] Sat, 12 November 2011 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jljones is currently offline  Jljones
Novice Contributor
You have to get the heavier spring or remove the hammer spur/extension. I had the same problem with my encore, removed the hammer extension and no more problems, it goes bang every time now.
Re: Encore [message #6691 is a reply to message #6658] Mon, 14 November 2011 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mfox is currently offline  mfox
Forum Newbie
I had this issue for awhile as well. I threw the Hammer spur down throught the woods and put in Mike's 51Lb spring. The only issue i had after that was the trigger pull. I had a trigger job done before i got Mike's spring and with the new spring the hammer would not hold back. So i had my Gunsmith redo my trigger job and now i'm fine. We also put one of Mike's springs in another encore without a trigger job done and it makes the trigger alittle more crisp.

Thanks
Mike

[Updated on: Mon, 14 November 2011 10:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Encore [message #8618 is a reply to message #6691] Thu, 02 February 2012 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Echohill is currently offline  Echohill
Forum Newbie
I've got Mike's hammer extension and the Bellm spring and also a trigger job from a local smith on my Encore frame and all is well... -0- misfires or hammer issues.
Re: Encore [message #8806 is a reply to message #8618] Fri, 10 February 2012 20:35 Go to previous message
Combat is currently offline  Combat
Forum Newbie
Do the Bellm tune up kit and make sure you check the head space and shim. If you need help PM me. I did all my own trigger work so I know it is right. Get the Ez-Lap files and work it. If you are not comfortable doing your own trigger then you can take it to a gunsmith. You can do it. Go to the web site and check it out.
Previous Topic: 243 15" barrel with custom muzzle brake
Next Topic: Vertical Stringing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 17:53:57 EDT 2024