Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » What's your handle mean? (OK, I'm old, screen name)
What's your handle mean? (OK, I'm old, screen name) [message #21181] Fri, 29 March 2013 17:29 Go to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I started on line so long ago that I had to shorten Crew Bear down to build a 7 character... oh wait, it just be that Crew Bear wasn't legal. At any rate, I wanted some form of crew bear for my anonymous ID. I joined the Air Force to see the world because my dad had been in Minuteman Missile Maintenance, what did I get? Minuteman Missile Operations at the only base in the Dakotas I had never lived at, Minot. Missile Ops guys (and gals now) were called crew bears.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: What's your handle mean? (OK, I'm old, screen name) [message #21188 is a reply to message #21181] Fri, 29 March 2013 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

My handle really does not mean anything other than it was given to me by my students many years ago. As a teacher, the students could not call me by first name and in the classroom that I ran no one liked Mr. Darby, so they started calling me Mr. Murl and it stuck for over twenty years and has been my handle for several more after that. At about the same time I had a young man living with my wife and I who was from the south and he called me that as well as my wife Ms. Karen. So it has stuck rather well. I picked up the habit from the young man who lived with us and now I call most everyone that I know by Mr. whomever or Ms. whomever. I think it should be that way for everyone.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: What's your handle mean? (OK, I'm old, screen name) [message #21189 is a reply to message #21188] Fri, 29 March 2013 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I was on an archery website about 2004/2005 timeframe, and we were discussing the possibilities for Hoyt's new bows. A lot of their popular bows were "Tec" series at the time - ViperTec (which I own), RazorTec, XTec, etc... Jokingly, I offered the new "CajunTec", which had fleur-de-lis cut outs and of course came in "Mossy-Oak camo". Then I started thinking about it. I'm cajun, and I'm an electronics tech. So I just started using "cajuntec" as my screen name on most of the sites I frequent.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: What's your handle mean? (OK, I'm old, screen name) [message #21203 is a reply to message #21181] Sat, 30 March 2013 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
laundryboy is currently offline  laundryboy
Novice Contributor
I own coin laundries out on the left coast where I live so just use this handle as it seemed appropriate.

[Updated on: Sat, 30 March 2013 01:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What's your handle mean? (OK, I'm old, screen name) [message #21206 is a reply to message #21203] Sat, 30 March 2013 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
I"m a bear hunter and the dogs I use are the Leopard Cur. I've been breeding and hunting these dogs for about 25 years, so lepcur for short. Mike
Re: What's your handle mean? (OK, I'm old, screen name) [message #21214 is a reply to message #21206] Sat, 30 March 2013 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

Little green bottles of fun
Re: What's your handle mean? (OK, I'm old, screen name) [message #21226 is a reply to message #21214] Sun, 31 March 2013 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Ham Radio call sign, Extra Class Operator.

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: What's your handle mean? (OK, I'm old, screen name) [message #21230 is a reply to message #21226] Sun, 31 March 2013 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chimo is currently offline  chimo
Forum Newbie
I've had a lot of nick names over the years but while I was enlisted in the army everyone was always shortening my last name. Went from chameleon to chisel and then finally stuck on chimo. Usually available for a handle so I've stuck to using it.
Re: What's your handle mean? (OK, I'm old, screen name) [message #21235 is a reply to message #21230] Sun, 31 March 2013 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
"name" was already on birth certificate, school enrollment records, report cards, selective service card, social security card,drivers license, vehicle titles, marriage license, etc. Never saw a need to somehow have to be "anonymous", nor need nor desire to be creative enough to dream up some fictitional character just for use on internet forums, etc. Did have to adjust to "formally" using "Senior" tack-on when "junior" was born, but not anal enough to use that totally everywhere.
Jim
Re: What's your handle mean? (OK, I'm old, screen name) [message #21255 is a reply to message #21235] Mon, 01 April 2013 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Forum Regular
My name is Doyle. People call me Doyle (spoken in my best Forrest Gump accent).
Re: What's your handle mean? (OK, I'm old, screen name) [message #21256 is a reply to message #21255] Mon, 01 April 2013 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Yeah James, I was really unsure how you came up with yours or what it meant Wink

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: What's your handle mean? (OK, I'm old, screen name) [message #21261 is a reply to message #21256] Mon, 01 April 2013 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

James; like Crubear I wondered how you got that name. I was just sure there was some underlying hidden meaning behind it.

Doyle; I can't speak Forest Gump, but I almost dropped the Mr. part of my name for a handle and went with what I was called all my life until becomming a teacher. That was just by my last name,"Darby". I worked construction for many years and that was all I ever heard.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Previous Topic: Looking at Holsters for Scoped Encore Pistol
Next Topic: Our Facebook Page
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 14:32:06 EDT 2024