Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » ultrasonic or tumble?
ultrasonic or tumble? [message #21090] Tue, 26 March 2013 09:46 Go to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

which do you use? and which model?

I have a frankford arsenal tumbler, lots of dust, etc...

I recently purchased some ultrasonically cleaned cases and i was amazed on how clean they were..

I'm beginning to wonder if thats the direction I should go
Re: ultrasonic or tumble? [message #21118 is a reply to message #21090] Tue, 26 March 2013 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I use both. First I remove the primers with my Universal caliber Lee Depriming Die. Then I throw them in my Hornady Sonic Cleaner with the Hornady solution. I normally run them for one 30 minute cycle with the heat on. Then I take the basket out and shake it while running hot water over the brass. Then I put it back in the same solution and run it again for another 30 minute cycle with the heat on. After I'm done, I pour my brass in a plastic bucket with hot water in it and swirl it around good to rinse it. I drain the water and re-rinse one more time in hot water. Then I pour them back into the clean basket from the sonic cleaner to drain all the water.

After they are dry, they are usually very clean, but not too shiny. I put them in my Hornady Tumbler with corn cob media and polish and just let it run for a while as I'm doing something else. My brass normally looks very clean and very shiny - Inside and out.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Tue, 26 March 2013 21:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ultrasonic or tumble? [message #21217 is a reply to message #21118] Sat, 30 March 2013 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Admin

Damn. That's a lot of steps. I just tumble.
Re: ultrasonic or tumble? [message #21223 is a reply to message #21217] Sat, 30 March 2013 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WV338 is currently offline  WV338
Forum Regular
Forum Moderator
I tumble also. Twice, once before resizing and then after.
Glen, with your busy schedule how do you have the time for all of this? Smile

Whisper Ventures
355th TFW
Re: ultrasonic or tumble? [message #21225 is a reply to message #21090] Sun, 31 March 2013 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
laundryboy is currently offline  laundryboy
Novice Contributor
I tumble in a vibratory cleaner using reptile sand from the pet store for 30 minutes then throw into walnut shell in a different tumbler for another 30 minutes. At this point they are more than clean and shiny enough for me.
Re: ultrasonic or tumble? [message #21229 is a reply to message #21225] Sun, 31 March 2013 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
For rifle, I tumble deprimed with Lyman's cleaning and polishing media. After re-size and loading I hand polish with Brasso and seal my primers. A bit much but the loads may sit for a couple of years and still shoot great with no tranish build up... Pistol ammo in bulk just gets tumbled, sized, and loaded as it does not last to long. Very Happy

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: ultrasonic or tumble? [message #21232 is a reply to message #21229] Sun, 31 March 2013 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
Hey Eric, Just cut up a few dryer sheets and throw them in the mix and they collect most all the dust for ya, I cut them in fourths, and when they get dirty replace them. Works good. Mike
Re: ultrasonic or tumble? [message #21238 is a reply to message #21232] Sun, 31 March 2013 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Admin

thats a good idea! i'll have to try it!
Re: ultrasonic or tumble? [message #21251 is a reply to message #21232] Mon, 01 April 2013 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
lepcur wrote on Sun, 31 March 2013 15:33
Hey Eric, Just cut up a few dryer sheets and throw them in the mix and they collect most all the dust for ya, I cut them in fourths, and when they get dirty replace them. Works good. Mike

Yep, works great. I use the used ones. Just have my wife not throw them out like she used to.
Re: ultrasonic or tumble? [message #21253 is a reply to message #21223] Mon, 01 April 2013 07:25 Go to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
WV338 wrote on Sat, 30 March 2013 23:26

Glen, with your busy schedule how do you have the time for all of this? Smile

Gotta' make time for something like this. Very Happy
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Previous Topic: Lyman universal case trimmer question
Next Topic: 6x30/30 AI
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 18:03:08 EDT 2024