Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » stock dimensions
stock dimensions [message #21386] Sat, 06 April 2013 17:29 Go to next message
labrunner is currently offline  labrunner
Forum Newbie
I am wondering if anyone knows what are the rifle stock dimensions to an encore and contender G1. I am wanting to carve my own stocks. Or if you know where I can find profiles of them would be very much appreciated.

Aim small, Miss small
Re: stock dimensions [message #21852 is a reply to message #21386] Wed, 24 April 2013 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spokerider is currently offline  Spokerider
Forum Newbie
You pretty much need a stock on hand to trace one out if you want to make a "copy" of one. Otherwise, you can make your own design to suit yourself.

The encore and contender stocks are different. The width of the frames are different, and the angle of the frame / frame-to-stock bolt angle, are different angles. If you want to make your own design, use the angle of the frame where it beds to the stock as the baseline, then make all of your other line / dimensions from that base line. Put the barrel on the frame when you lay it out, so you can get the drop / comb dimensions that you want. Place the angle of the frame on that base line that you will have drawn, and you will see what I mean.

Is there a specific reason why you want to make your own stock? Save $$? Unique wood? Just enjoy the challenge?

I made a stock for my encore from yew wood. The dust from yew is so toxic it just about finished me off, lol, but it turned out well.

What kind of tools do you have to use? It is quite the challenge to drill that bolt hole through the grip straight and true. Also notching the bedding surface for the frame is tedious and takes time if doing it by hand. I suppose if you have all of the fancy power tools, you could make it pretty easy once you set them up for the task.

When you get going, post up some pics!

[Updated on: Wed, 24 April 2013 12:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: stock dimensions [message #21856 is a reply to message #21852] Wed, 24 April 2013 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
I don't own that many power tools but I do have a drill press and bandsaw accessible. I like to make my own things. I do a lot of traditional archery and make my own arrows and have made a couple of bows. I have always wanted to make a couple of stocks. I figured it would be a little easier than making a full stock hawken stock. It is something to to try. Plus I have some different type of wood that are large enough, I think, to do something different. I have some mulberry and some worm wood birch that I thought would make some really nice stocks.

Aim small, Miss small
Re: stock dimensions [message #21859 is a reply to message #21856] Wed, 24 April 2013 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Really the only thing that is real tough is getting the bedding area, where the stock mates up to the frame. After that you can do just about anything that you want to. If I were going to do that I would put a slight cast off to the right, that is the rear or butt of the stock should set a litte off to the right as you are looking down on it. You don't want much, but that is a personal thing so need to check it out for yourself. Then let your imagination take over. I personally would put a palm swell on the pistol grip also, with a Monte Carlo cheek piece built in. All these things should be done to your likeing. If you have a current stock, I would use something like play doe or clay to model the stock to see what you like. I plan on doing one for myself later. If you had a lathe copier that would be easy. I am going to try to build a copier that will mount a router to to the cutting with. Cut it large and whittle it down to suit your self. Have fun.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: stock dimensions [message #21874 is a reply to message #21859] Thu, 25 April 2013 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spokerider is currently offline  Spokerider
Forum Newbie
I too have made my own bows, yew wood self bows and some laminated glass long bows. Yes, if is very rewarding to make or mod your own hunting stuff.

It sounds as if you have the skills needed to make a stock, and to make it well enough for it to work on the 1st attempt.

You may want to drill the bolt hole through the grip BEFORE you cut the angle of the action into the stock. Ever tried to drill a hole with the bit at an angle to the wood? I have, lol.

Adding cast to a stock is a nice custom touch. Just make sure that you understand "cast" before you lay out the stock. There is cast-on and cast-off. One way for right hand and one way for left hand shooting.......I just can't recall which is which at the moment.
Re: stock dimensions [message #21882 is a reply to message #21874] Thu, 25 April 2013 18:45 Go to previous message
Forum Newbie
Thank You for the information you could give. Every little bit helps.

Aim small, Miss small
Previous Topic: .19 badger
Next Topic: 12ga barrel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 20:14:00 EDT 2024