Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » First Computer
First Computer [message #22215] Tue, 14 May 2013 15:02 Go to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Ok, the first computer I ever owned was a Mac 512, awesome when I added 1024K of memory and an external 800K double sided floppy drive. Never did replace the internal 400K single side.
index.php?t=getfile&id=3465&private=0

The first home computer was a Commodore Vic-20 my parents bought for Christmas one year.
index.php?t=getfile&id=3466&private=0

My first computer though was an IBM Mainframe 360, yes it read cards, FORTRAN IV was the language. My second was a PDP-8 that used paper tapes, and the other one for that class was a PDP-11 that took 8.5" Floppy's.

I remember when 2x cd drives were blazing fast, a lot of memory was 1 meg, and a 5 megabyte hard drive was HUGE (and expensive at $1K plus). Come to think of it, my Mac was expensive too.

My worst experience was dropping a 670+ COBOL card deck when I turned it in for the final. The largest error report I ever got (a ream and a half of the large box computer paper) was when I grabbed the FORTRAN compiler cards for the COBOL deck.

Why is this here? Because it's too quiet on the list and some of you need to know how lucky you are.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: First Computer [message #22216 is a reply to message #22215] Tue, 14 May 2013 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Ok I'll bite, my first computer was a Tandy Co Co 2 with casset and floppy loading. A friend wrote me a strip poker game for it and it was the biggest hit that folks at the base in Iceland had ever seen... The image was X's and O's on a sga green screen.
2nd was a home brew 386 DX-20/2 with co-processor. (basic arithmetic ad on) and maxed out with 516k bites front to back. Hard drive was a Seagate 1.2 meg (Monster drive) Op system Micro Soft 2.1 with home brew desk top.
First vidio game was Linksys Golf, base line version 1994. It was a real screamer and I would never have completed my college english lit without it. It had the first spell check and grammar format tools developed and I remember fondly that it was the fastest puter in the neighborhood.
Rick

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: First Computer [message #22220 is a reply to message #22215] Wed, 15 May 2013 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
laundryboy is currently offline  laundryboy
Novice Contributor
Boy, you guys are really bored!!! Laughing
Re: First Computer [message #22229 is a reply to message #22220] Wed, 15 May 2013 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Until I get back out shooting I felt the need to do something.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: First Computer [message #22231 is a reply to message #22229] Wed, 15 May 2013 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

commodore 128 here... now I work with some of the finest technology ever created Smile

I'm a systems engineer for a large IT consulting firm
Re: First Computer [message #22233 is a reply to message #22231] Wed, 15 May 2013 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Yeah, the C128 came out a short while after the Vic-20. Some neighbors of ours got one of the first Apple II's, he beat on it when it didn't do what he wanted.

Re: First Computer [message #22237 is a reply to message #22233] Wed, 15 May 2013 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I was a drafting instructor and got my first CAD training on an old Harris computer using a program called Harris CAD. My first home computer was an XT that a friend and I built. It had two 5.25 floppy disk drives and later added a 720 floppy disk. I did AutoCad on that machine. Got a 386 later and can't remember what size hard disk and a 720 floppy. I suppose I have had 8 or 10 computers and am running my latest one which is about due. Don't do AutoCad anymore so don't need all the extra RAM so only have about 8 gig and a Terabyte hard drive that is only about 1/8th full. Did just get a lap top a few weeks ago, but I don't like the finger pad for a mouse so have not used it much. Will pick up a wireless mouse soon.
I can remember when we did drafting with a pen and pencil, with T squares and triangles. My how things have changed in not too many years.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: First Computer [message #22278 is a reply to message #22237] Fri, 17 May 2013 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Admin

My workstation that I'm typing this on is a 27" iMac with 32gb of memory and 3TB of disk Smile
Re: First Computer [message #22279 is a reply to message #22278] Fri, 17 May 2013 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Show off and braggert!!!!

Re: First Computer [message #22284 is a reply to message #22279] Fri, 17 May 2013 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Crubear wrote on Fri, 17 May 2013 07:46
Show off and braggert!!!!

I second that!!!

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: First Computer [message #22285 is a reply to message #22284] Fri, 17 May 2013 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Same as littleking here. 27" iMac.

It's not showing off. Wink I just got tired of my computer running slower and slower every time I logged in, so I finally bought a real computer. Very Happy Never thought I'd own a Mac. Now I won't own anything else. I love this machine.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: First Computer [message #22301 is a reply to message #22285] Sat, 18 May 2013 15:42 Go to previous message
Forum Admin

this is my 3rd mac... i love them. recommend them to everyone.

like buying quality power tools, but crap ones 4 times or buy a good one once.. same price Wink i run 4-5 virtual machines at any given time on top of OSX, so I don't give it much rest. Then again, that's what it's built for!
Previous Topic: What happened to the stars
Next Topic: Pray for the victims of Okla tragedy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 15:13:39 EDT 2024