Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Sure is quiet around here
Sure is quiet around here [message #22715] Thu, 13 June 2013 09:48 Go to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Sure is quiet around here for the past while. I just recently purchased a Contender barrel in 24" custom shop 221 fireball. I put a scope on it and took it to the range to sight in. At 25 yards I was shooting about four inches low and 2 inches to the right. No matter how much I twisted the knob it would not shoot anywhere but the same place. I took it back and the dealer gave me a new one. Did not have the same model so gave me an upgrade scope. Yesterday I had gotten the new scope mounted and went the range. The wind was blowing right into my face, I would wait until a lull in the wind and then shoot one or two. Got the barrel shooting where I wanted and then tried some ladder loads for groups. Loading 17.0, 17.5, and 18 grains of H4198. The sight in was 17.5 grains behind a 45 grain Sierra bullet and the test loads were 40 grain Sierra hollow points with the above listed charge weights. Long story even longer, I shot a group with the 17.0 grains and they shot all but one into the same hole, the one was a pulled shot I knew when I shot I had pulled it. It was about an inch to the right. I went ahead and shot the rest of the ladder and could not better the first load.
Later in the morning I had two tires mounted on wheels and then mounted the tires on an old bush-hog mower, after getting the tires mounted I had to replace the universal joint in the power takeoff shaft of the mower. The later in the day I had borrowed a log splitter and split a load of firewood. I was busy all day and just plain tuckered out by bed time, which came a little early last night.
Hope all yawl have a great day, I have to take one of my hearing aids in for repair. Day before yesterday I was working outside and sweating hard, and had forgotten to take off my hearing aids. One of them got sweat in it and it is dead, don't know what it will take to make it work again, but I bet I won't be buying any new guns or barrels for a while.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Sure is quiet around here [message #22724 is a reply to message #22715] Thu, 13 June 2013 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Mr. Murl, I will gladly loan you Gayle, she is 10 times louder than a hearing aid, and the sign language that goes with it is totally free. Smile Nice to see someone else made it to the range... I had 5 bullets left over in my .308 box and had just gotten a stock set from Dr. Tony G.. Wanted to see what it would do with an old scope that I used on my 30-06 hunting barrel. I mounted it and never changed the scope 0 settings. Shot it in a left to right cross wind. Bout 20 mph. The first group at 50 was a tad high to the right of center... Gave her a couple of clicks to the left and took it out to 100. Next group, a tad lower and to the left. Held, on the last shot for compensation and bingo. Yep drilled the center... Way good enough for Bambi harvesting...:0 Keep on hogging my friend and we'll catch you again soon..
Rick

index.php?t=getfile&id=3540&private=0

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: Sure is quiet around here [message #22737 is a reply to message #22724] Fri, 14 June 2013 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
I haven't done any shooting for the last month or so, I loaded up a couple test loads for my 6.5 rem mag barrel and still haven't tried them yet. I've been getting in firewood and doing a re-model job and that's been keeping me busy and tired. LOL. Here's a cool pic. of 1 of my cedar loads, there is 7 6' logs on the trailer. Mike
index.php?t=getfile&id=3542&private=0
  • Attachment: DVC00648.JPG
    (Size: 131.42KB, Downloaded 490 times)
Re: Sure is quiet around here [message #22754 is a reply to message #22737] Sat, 15 June 2013 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

Been cutting down all the ash trees that are dying from this stupid ass beetle Sad

hundreds of dead giant ash trees Sad
Re: Sure is quiet around here [message #22755 is a reply to message #22737] Sun, 16 June 2013 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Mike; What are you doing with the big Ceder logs? They are not firewood are they? In Missouri a cedar burns up so fast that it does not put out much heat. They are great for starting a fire but not for maintaining one. Those are way bigger than we would have back here. A big Cedar tree here is about 16 to 18 inches on the big end. We do have bigger ones but not many.
The Ash trees get bigger than that and so far the beetle has not been a problem here. We are worried about it though. It is the same with some kind of little Mussle, that somebody brought back from over seas and not we can't kill them off fast enough. They are killing our lakes and damaging the cooling systems of electric generating systems. Not to mention the damage done to boats and such.
Oh well it is always something. Y'awll have a great Sunday and Happy Fathers Day. God bless.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Sure is quiet around here [message #22833 is a reply to message #22755] Thu, 20 June 2013 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
Murl, Yep, it's for firewood. I have a few buddies that are loggers and they knocked this old dead tree down and pushed it off the mtn. and left it by the road for me. Like you said, it's good to get a fire going. I sell some firewood in the fall and winter and people like cedar and oak. I think I have about 8 cords of cedar and 15-20 cords of oak bucked and split, drying thru the summer. Have a good1. Mike
Re: Sure is quiet around here [message #23004 is a reply to message #22833] Tue, 02 July 2013 20:13 Go to previous message
wvjoetc is currently offline  wvjoetc
Forum Newbie
Hey Murl,
I got to thinking and remembered that I had been a member of EC, my new computer forgot also. Seems all the shooting/hunting boards are kindof slow now. Take care my firend, I'l PM you over on GGVG with my number.

Joe

One shot pistols, the only way to hunt
Previous Topic: Armor Alloy Contender
Next Topic: NEW GUY
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 21:57:36 EDT 2024