Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Anyone reloading 357 MAX using H110 powder?
Anyone reloading 357 MAX using H110 powder? [message #22992] Tue, 02 July 2013 09:04 Go to next message
navistar82 is currently offline  navistar82
Novice Contributor
What is the highest grain of powder you've used for the Max using H110 powder? Friend of mine loaded me some ranging from 17.5gr up to 20gr. In half grain increments. I'm using Hornady 180gr xtp out of a 22" MGM bull barrel. The 18.5 and 19.5 shot great, but I'm curious as how high I can go and still maintain good accuracy without pressures being to high.

He uses H110 for all his loads so the powder has to stay.

Thanks
Re: Anyone reloading 357 MAX using H110 powder? [message #23008 is a reply to message #22992] Tue, 02 July 2013 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

H110 is scary to me, walk your way up SLOW, I use in my 44mag, and there is a huge difference in pressure with just half a grain
Re: Anyone reloading 357 MAX using H110 powder? [message #23011 is a reply to message #23008] Tue, 02 July 2013 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Duly noted, thanks for the heads up.
Re: Anyone reloading 357 MAX using H110 powder? [message #23013 is a reply to message #23011] Wed, 03 July 2013 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Navistar;
My advice and I am not trying to be a smart azz. Go out and buy yourself a reloading setup. You will be much happier with the results and you can work to the fine point with out too much worry. I see presses and dies and the rest of the stuff listed on this and other boards for not bad prices. Then you can apply what you learn here to the real thing rather than let someone else dictate your loads. Perhaps a different powder would work better. I can't say about that I have not worked with the Max at all.
Just the rantings of an old man, but reloading is fun and rewarding, so give it a try.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Anyone reloading 357 MAX using H110 powder? [message #23021 is a reply to message #23013] Wed, 03 July 2013 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
This is a personal thing; but it scares me to use someone else's reloads - unless I know that they're as OCD/Retentive as I am. If they won't pull the trigger on a round, YOU SHOULDN'T!!!!

You can find some stuff here: http://www.reloadammo.com/357max.htm
I do not vouch for the site or the data, but I have used some of their loads in the past - along with checking manuals and powder manufacturer's sites. I'd get a copy of the Hornady manual and see what it says (Hornady has gotten conservative lately, which isn't a bad thing when reloading). I'd even give Hodgdon a call to see if they have a rifle load recommendation.

Since every barrel is different you can experiment, but there are no OLD and BOLD reloaders.

If you mentioned Contender or Encore I didn't catch it, either way, if you're scared to pull the trigger on a reload you've gone too far.

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Anyone reloading 357 MAX using H110 powder? [message #23029 is a reply to message #23021] Wed, 03 July 2013 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Nav,
Your OP states that your friend loaded you some H-110 rounds from 17.5-20 grains, .5 grain intervals. Then mentioned that the 18.5-19.5's shot great. No mention about how the 20's shot. Didn't try them yet?
Jim
Re: Anyone reloading 357 MAX using H110 powder? [message #23030 is a reply to message #22992] Wed, 03 July 2013 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mimccammon
Forum Newbie
navistar, peanut here on this end. I have a mike bellm set up on my .357 maximum its a 26" bergara barrel with bellms chamber. I shoot a 180gr. ssp bullet made by hornady,and a 180gr. xtp bullet. I'm using aa-1680, 27.3 is my powder charge seat my bullets out long because of bellms longer chamber.Go to bellms tcs or dick and terry white custom guns to learn more about the .357maximum. Peanut
Re: Anyone reloading 357 MAX using H110 powder? [message #23043 is a reply to message #23029] Thu, 04 July 2013 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
jamesgammel wrote on Wed, 03 July 2013 18:42
Nav,
Your OP states that your friend loaded you some H-110 rounds from 17.5-20 grains, .5 grain intervals. Then mentioned that the 18.5-19.5's shot great. No mention about how the 20's shot. Didn't try them yet?
Jim

I shot them all, the 18.5gr and 19.5gr shot the best out of them. Here is the link to my groups, mind you the orange dot is about the size of nickel.

http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&t h=6028&start=0&

I trust him with the loads, he is a good friend who I've known for quite some time. He uses the 357 max for deer hunting also...has been for the last couple years. He loads my 40 s&w and Max ammo and I've never had one issue, he is very precise.

As for buying my own equipment, I've thought about it but I don't shoot enough to justify spending the money on it, especially since brass and bullets are hard to come by now.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Re: Anyone reloading 357 MAX using H110 powder? [message #23044 is a reply to message #23043] Thu, 04 July 2013 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I fully recognize the drive for perfection (I'm pretty OCD when it comes to this kind of stuff). But I was always told that your goal shouldn't be to see how high you could go, but rather how accurate you can get within the specified safe range. If I were shooting and got your 18.5 grain results, I'd probably be very satisfied and load a large batch to that specification while I still had plenty in that lot of powder. Four shots touching in the size of a nickel is pretty impressive to me at 75 yards with a pistol caliber - even if it is the .357 Max.

Good shootin'. I'm envious!

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Anyone reloading 357 MAX using H110 powder? [message #23047 is a reply to message #23044] Thu, 04 July 2013 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
I agree, I'll probably stick with what I have. Dont want to push my luck and damage my frame or barrel. I know its plenty to kill a deer within the range I'll be using. Aim small...miss small!

Thanks
Re: Anyone reloading 357 MAX using H110 powder? [message #23050 is a reply to message #23030] Thu, 04 July 2013 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Peanut wrote on Wed, 03 July 2013 19:35
navistar, peanut here on this end. I have a mike bellm set up on my .357 maximum its a 26" bergara barrel with bellms chamber. I shoot a 180gr. ssp bullet made by hornady,and a 180gr. xtp bullet. I'm using aa-1680, 27.3 is my powder charge seat my bullets out long because of bellms longer chamber.Go to bellms tcs or dick and terry white custom guns to learn more about the .357maximum. Peanut

I've read on D&T's custom site. David's CVA Apex is sick!! He put in some serious time to get that kind of results. Unfortunately for me the combo of 180gr XTP/H110 wasn't used much so there isn't much info about it.
Re: Anyone reloading 357 MAX using H110 powder? [message #23051 is a reply to message #23021] Thu, 04 July 2013 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Novice Contributor
Crubear wrote on Wed, 03 July 2013 10:51
This is a personal thing; but it scares me to use someone else's reloads - unless I know that they're as OCD/Retentive as I am. If they won't pull the trigger on a round, YOU SHOULDN'T!!!!

You can find some stuff here: http://www.reloadammo.com/357max.htm
I do not vouch for the site or the data, but I have used some of their loads in the past - along with checking manuals and powder manufacturer's sites. I'd get a copy of the Hornady manual and see what it says (Hornady has gotten conservative lately, which isn't a bad thing when reloading). I'd even give Hodgdon a call to see if they have a rifle load recommendation.

Since every barrel is different you can experiment, but there are no OLD and BOLD reloaders.

If you mentioned Contender or Encore I didn't catch it, either way, if you're scared to pull the trigger on a reload you've gone too far.

Thanks for the webpage, that is one I haven't found yet. A good read!
Previous Topic: New to reloading
Next Topic: .357 mag loads
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 14:44:43 EDT 2024