Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Hard to lock closed
Hard to lock closed [message #22138] Sat, 11 May 2013 17:37 Go to next message
Deezil is currently offline  Deezil
Novice Contributor
Picked up another barrel, I have three total, the other two lock with ease, but the new one, you have to really pop it up into place for it to stay closed, any idea's? its a stainless frame with a blued barrel..

Thanks
Re: Hard to lock closed [message #22143 is a reply to message #22138] Sat, 11 May 2013 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I am sure brighter minds then mine will come in and add to this but it sounds to me as if the locking bolts need to be polished a little. Take the barrel off of the frame and mark the locking bolts all around with a magic marker, then put the barrel back on the frame and try to close the barrel. Where the bolts are wiped clean of the magic marker is where you need to work. Take a fine hard stone and polish the bolts then repeat process. It should start to get eaier to close as you work. Go slow and be careful not to take off too much. It is easy, just time consumeing, but once done you can say I'm a gunsmith now.LOL It is fun to work on your own guns. Just take it slow.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Hard to lock closed [message #22150 is a reply to message #22143] Sun, 12 May 2013 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
I will give it a try, thank you
Re: Hard to lock closed [message #22152 is a reply to message #22150] Sun, 12 May 2013 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular

Go real slow and easy; you do not want to take off too much. You will have to mount the barrel a few times but do the work with the barrel off of the frame. Do not want to get debris down into the frame. Good luck

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Hard to lock closed [message #22173 is a reply to message #22152] Sun, 12 May 2013 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Did some fiddling, noticed on my other barrel the extractor will go flush, on this barrel, it will not. so I took out the extractor and barrel locks easily. I dont see how this worked on anyone elses rig, but at least I know where to start. I cleaned some carbon off between the extractor and where it fits into the barrel, that helped some, so did a little filing to make it go it a tad more.

With a case in it, itll close pretty easily now, still takes a little help, so it may need a little more filing, but Itll get there.
Re: Hard to lock closed [message #22178 is a reply to message #22173] Mon, 13 May 2013 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Regular

Hey really glad you found what the problem was. I am really always glad when you find the problem and then have a plan of action. I glad that this problem seems to be an easy fix. That is great.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Hard to lock closed [message #24393 is a reply to message #22178] Mon, 23 September 2013 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wilyote is currently offline  Wilyote
Novice Contributor
Just finished doing the same thing to a stainless 7mm08. The barrel had to be taken down and the locking lugs polished. The extractor was proud too. Nothing a file couldn't take care of. The ears on the locking lugs catching on a burr inside the gun too. It is now shootable.
Re: Hard to lock closed [message #24399 is a reply to message #24393] Tue, 24 September 2013 09:22 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Just a few points on these T/C break actions. You should never have to "slam close" one of these to get it to lock up properly. If all is well, you should be able to "sneek" close your actions and get them to lock up right. If it doesn't, don't accept it, find out where the problem is and correct it.
There should be NO difference in material type between stainless and blued , they should be totally interchangeable.
If you store your guns put together (especially over long periods) you risk the chance of weakening locking bolt springs. Bellm offers "stouter" locking bolt springs which *may* get your barrels to lock up tighter without having to resort to "stoning" surfaces. No guarantee, but may help in a few of these cases.
I once had a .22 contender barrel that wouldn't lock up correctly. It had a weaver scope mount on it. It was too long and would jam at the breech face. I don't know whether the screw holes were located too far back, or the mount itself was the culprit, but I had to file down the back edge of the mount to get it to close properly. I've too also had extractors that were too thick and didn't sit flush with the breech. If you have problems closing yours, first thing to check is the barrel's breech with a good straight-edge to eliminate if either of these already mentioned causes could be your cause.
If the barrel locks up fine when no cartridge is inserted, and the problem arises with a round loaded, it could be a headspacing issue. With rimmed rounds, it could be either the rim on the cartridge, or the rim counterbore. Be sure to check for dirt/crud issues being a cause, check behind the extractor as a place for this stuff to collect and cause a problem.
If you've pretty much eliminated some of these other issues, THEN stoning the locking bolts may be in order.
Jim

[Updated on: Tue, 24 September 2013 09:25]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Muzzleloader Cleaning
Next Topic: 243 or 308?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 08:21:52 EDT 2024