Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » close fast shoting sight (help me get affordable red dot/ holographic sight that can take recoil)
close fast shoting sight [message #26383] Mon, 09 December 2013 23:50 Go to next message
christopher.gibbons1@gmai
Hi all. Let me say that at almost 50. I can't just use a peep sight I would have ten years ago. I need some optical assistance. I have some carbines that I would like a small MOA red dot or holographic sight for. IT has to be able to stand up to recoil without falling apart or loosing its zero. Oslo need one that no matter what angle im looking at the dot from, I'm going to hit where the dot is.
I can't afford eotec or Aim Point sights for one gun, never mind several.
Help me out guys, with all the time effort, money experience and both good and bad experiences this group must have on this issue; I just know one or more of you can help me out and keep me from Waisting time money and ammo. If you had to shoot a 24" .460 S&W at close quarters in brush for hog, what sight should I have. Chris

Bolt & Ball Hunter
Re: close fast shoting sight [message #26389 is a reply to message #26383] Tue, 10 December 2013 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
I have an older Tasco Pro-Point that held up for several rounds of 460S&W and a couple other bangers. The problem I ran into is most red dots are made for 357 and below. When I tried to get advice the majority recommended the Leuopold

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: close fast shoting sight [message #26499 is a reply to message #26389] Fri, 13 December 2013 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dale is currently offline  dale
Forum Newbie
Check into the Bushnell line of red dots. I've had one for several years, really like it.

Dale
Re: close fast shoting sight [message #26512 is a reply to message #26499] Fri, 13 December 2013 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hh4whiskey is currently offline  hh4whiskey
Novice Contributor
Those older tasco pro point sights will work. They're stout. Vortex sparc is a holo-style sight that I hear good things about. Check out primary arms, as well. C-more sights can often be found reasonable, as well. Burris fast fires hold up to shotgun and pistol use. Lots of reasonable $ options. Most will be parallax free past 50 yards, and have some wiggle of <2", under 50.
Re: close fast shoting sight [message #26536 is a reply to message #26512] Sat, 14 December 2013 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
I have an older Tasco Pro Point Holographic type, that was on a 308 pistol for several hundred rounds,and on a 3 1/2" turkey gun too. It held up fine!
I have also had great luck with a Burris of the same type.
It sits on my 375 H&H barrel right now,but it has been on several other guns as well.
Re: close fast shoting sight [message #26539 is a reply to message #26536] Sat, 14 December 2013 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Just to clear things up a bit - there is one manufacture that I know of that makes holographic sights - EOTech. There are reflex sights like the Leupold and others, and there are Red Dots. The Reflex sights act similar to a Holographic sight in that you can keep both eyes open when shooting, but are actually completely different technology. Red Dots fall into a different category as well. I have all three types, and I can tell you there is are major differences in using an actual Holographic or Reflex sight, from using a simple Red Dot. That's not a bash on Red Dots. But there is a reason you can buy many brands and models of new Red Dot for less than $100, but won't touch an actual new Holographic sight for under about $425 most places.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: close fast shoting sight [message #26540 is a reply to message #26539] Sat, 14 December 2013 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
You are correct cajuntec!
I was having a gastric discharge of the cranial region (brain fart) and REFLEX wouldn't come to me,hence " holographic type" was substituted!
I have had great luck with them on heavy kicking weapons,both rifle and pistol!
Re: close fast shoting sight [message #26542 is a reply to message #26540] Sat, 14 December 2013 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
That happens to me all the time mj, so don't feel alone! Smile
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: close fast shoting sight [message #26625 is a reply to message #26542] Tue, 17 December 2013 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys, I'm grateful for the advice and observations. Think I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and save up for a quality holographic sight.

Bolt & Ball Hunter
Re: close fast shoting sight [message #26659 is a reply to message #26383] Wed, 18 December 2013 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys, going to try the vortex strikefire. After pricing out aimpoint micro h1, trijicon rmo 5 and eotec exps 3 all at over 500.00, I got the Vortex strikefire for $152 today. It was on sale from $230 to $169, then my wife found a 10% storewide discount, and I got free shipping on anything over $50.
I got one for $152. For that price if it doesn't work for the 460, I'll get it replaced on warranty and put it on something else. It's a Reflex style. Friend of mine from IS has had great luck with his. Fyi

Bolt & Ball Hunter
Re: close fast shoting sight [message #26685 is a reply to message #26659] Fri, 20 December 2013 07:17 Go to previous message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

I use ultra-dots on all of my heavy recoil guns that I want a red-dot sight on. They are affordable, top notch and can take a beating
Previous Topic: Changing out barrels
Next Topic: new vs old Encore ML barrel opinions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 20:02:39 EDT 2024