Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » new vs old Encore ML barrel opinions
new vs old Encore ML barrel opinions [message #26652] Wed, 18 December 2013 12:15 Go to next message
vthunter is currently offline  vthunter
Forum Newbie
Hi gang,

Newbie just joined and looking for thoughts/experience on the new TC muzzleloader barrels. Have an Encore and looking for a long-ish distance 209/50 barrel. Wondering thoughts on the original, non-fluted Encore barrel (I think 26") versus the fluted, 28" pro-hunter xt barrel.

It seems as though having a little extra length would allow for increased velocity using BH 209. However, I wonder about what the actual usable barrel length differences are. The original Encore uses a smaller breech plug, so that wouldn't eat up as much of the rifled portion as the longer Speed Breech XT, right?

Also, I'm curious about the fluted barrels strength/accuracy versus the original non-fluted version.

Thanks for reading, awesome site, Happy Holidays, good luck in the woods, etc!

Todd

[Updated on: Wed, 18 December 2013 12:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: new vs old Encore ML barrel opinions [message #26686 is a reply to message #26652] Fri, 20 December 2013 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

I've not had accuracy or performance issues with either of my non-fluted barrels in conjunction with BH209.
Re: new vs old Encore ML barrel opinions [message #26733 is a reply to message #26686] Sat, 21 December 2013 14:26 Go to previous message
vthunter is currently offline  vthunter
Forum Newbie
Hey LK, Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm now looking hard at a custom barrel from Bullberry. They actually recommend a 24" barrel, with 26" being the longest they recommend. Go figure. Going to talk with them a bit more to figure out my move. Right now leaning toward the 26" as it is easier to cut an inch or two off down the road than try to add it back on!

Cheers!

Todd
Previous Topic: close fast shoting sight
Next Topic: TC Prohunter 12 ga Turkey Choke ????????
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 19:47:54 EDT 2024