Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Takedown mod for leaving forearms on barrels...
Takedown mod for leaving forearms on barrels... [message #26774] Sun, 22 December 2013 21:48 Go to next message
hh4whiskey is currently offline  hh4whiskey
Novice Contributor
Anyone experimented with using a press fit or locking hinge pin, and removing the ears from a forearm or drilling it out for changing barrels without foream removal? Forearm changes always leave me paranoid on torque/poi change.
Re: Takedown mod for leaving forearms on barrels... [message #26776 is a reply to message #26774] Sun, 22 December 2013 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I've seen others do it. Looks horrible. I'd rather just bed the forearm or do like some others and pillar bed or use spacers to free float it.
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Takedown mod for leaving forearms on barrels... [message #26777 is a reply to message #26776] Sun, 22 December 2013 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hh4whiskey is currently offline  hh4whiskey
Novice Contributor
Bedding/floating is kinda moot. I just don't want to have to touch the forearm screws to swap calibers. I may be better off just buying more frames, though.
Re: Takedown mod for leaving forearms on barrels... [message #26783 is a reply to message #26777] Mon, 23 December 2013 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
I have never had any issues with POI changes.
I change barrels all the time.
Re: Takedown mod for leaving forearms on barrels... [message #26791 is a reply to message #26783] Mon, 23 December 2013 09:37 Go to previous message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I have glued spacers into each and every forearm. When I chance the barrels I try my ultimate to use the same amount of torque when setting the screws back into place. I do own a torque wrench but rarely use it except to mount scopes. It has worked for me. I can change barrels and go out and shoot same POI every time. I use socket head screws and the same tool each time I change forearms. Has been working for years that way and I see no reason to change.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Previous Topic: cheek riser
Next Topic: Forend bedding
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 19:36:59 EDT 2024