Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Rechamber barrel (223 to 223AI)
Rechamber barrel [message #26823] Tue, 24 December 2013 21:54 Go to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

A friend asked if it would be safe to rechamber a 223 Contender barrel to 223AI. I was not sure so thought I would ask here. Thanks.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Rechamber barrel [message #26824 is a reply to message #26823] Tue, 24 December 2013 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I don't have any first hand knowledge, but don't see any reason it wouldn't. All the AI is a sharper shoulder and blown out to increase case capacity. You still run the same pressures you run in the parent case.
Re: Rechamber barrel [message #26835 is a reply to message #26824] Wed, 25 December 2013 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wilyote is currently offline  Wilyote
Novice Contributor
Might want to check with Mike Bellm. I am pretty sure that there isn't enough metal to play with here.
Re: Rechamber barrel [message #26856 is a reply to message #26835] Wed, 25 December 2013 18:14 Go to previous message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
The normal practice is to pull the barrel, cut a bit from the breech, and then do the rechamber. I've been told over and over again to not do this to a Contender/Encore,

To see why, trace the neck and shoulder of the improved case and lay it over the standard

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Previous Topic: contender help
Next Topic: New pistol "scabbard" - NcStar CVRSCB2919B
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:15:51 EDT 2024