Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Wanted: Ideas for barrel extension or muzzle break to make Contender Carbine
icon4.gif  Wanted: Ideas for barrel extension or muzzle break to make Contender Carbine [message #26868] Thu, 26 December 2013 12:22 Go to next message
nimrodtracy is currently offline  nimrodtracy
Forum Newbie
Need a inexpensive barrel extension or muzzle break to make the 14" into 16" barrels so it will be legal as a carbine. Could even be a flash suppressor.

You guys know of a source, or how to make them?

Tracy Confused

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....

[Updated on: Fri, 27 December 2013 07:23] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Wanted: Barrel extension or muzzle break to make Contender Carbine [message #26869 is a reply to message #26868] Thu, 26 December 2013 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
Not sure but I believe it would have to be permanent in order to be legal as a carbine.
Welded,pinned,ect.
Re: Wanted: Barrel extension or muzzle break to make Contender Carbine [message #26870 is a reply to message #26868] Thu, 26 December 2013 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Tracy; not much help here except I do know that that unit has to be permanently attached to the barrel. It has to be such that it can't be removed, in order to make it legal as a Carbine. You should look to a competent gunsmith.
Hope this is of some help.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: Wanted: Barrel extension or muzzle break to make Contender Carbine [message #26873 is a reply to message #26868] Thu, 26 December 2013 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Tracy,

Years ago Choate made a stamped metal barrel extension for the purpose you desire. It required that it be welded (thus permanent) to the barrel. Slotted on the top so you could continue to use the front sight. If I recall correctly, it was around $50.00. They don't make it anymore. When a weld cools, it causes shrinking so the bores got restricted where the welds were done, so while you had a "legal" barrel, accuracy went to #$@&.

David White offers both muzzle brakes and barrel extensions for those wanting to create legal carbine length barrels from their contender and encore pistol barrels. An extension would run 150.00, plus shipping your barrel both directions. Muzzle Brakes run from 150-200, again, plus the shipping two ways.

In figuring your already made outlay for your 14, plus the expense to get either an extension or brake added, you'd have been further ahead all around to have simply purchased a "real" carbine length barrel, either a T/C super 16, or even a custom 16+ from a source like MGM, Ed's (cheaper route for an MGM barrel), etc.

You might be able to get a local machine shop to somehow make and install a brake or extension a little cheaper, or possibly have a machinist friend that would do the work cheaper yet, but have to trust that his "build" is ATF approved and doesn't detract from your barrel's functionality (including accuracy, etc.).
Jim
Re: Wanted: Barrel extension or muzzle break to make Contender Carbine [message #26880 is a reply to message #26873] Thu, 26 December 2013 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Ross Muzzle Brakes are outstanding, you will have to get someone to thread an pin the brake

http://home.comcast.net/~MOA_Shooters/RossMuzzleBrakes.htm

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Wanted: Barrel extension or muzzle break to make Contender Carbine [message #26882 is a reply to message #26880] Fri, 27 December 2013 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
I have had this contender for a wile as a pistol and now want to put a carbine buttstock on it. To be legal barrels have to be 16" so I am looking for a cheep way of doing this. I do understand they have to be attached in a permanent fashion.

Here is a reply I got from another form and I might give it a try, what do you guys think?

"I assume this is a 14" heavy barrel. I just extended a 14" SS barrel using a piece of 7/8" SS tubing .035" wall thickness. I bought a 12" piece from McMaster Carr for $14 or less. I cut this into 2 6" pieces and cleaned up the ends. My barrel miked .810 on the muzzle end and the tubing miked .805 inside. Using a piece of threaded rod 3/8" with nuts and washers on each end I pulled the tubing onto the barrel until it covered the sight screw holes. I then buffed the SS with fine scotch brite until it matched the barrel. Removal will require machine work as it is extremely tight. You need to use the appropriate size threaded rod to fit inside the barrel. Hope this helps."

Re: Wanted: Barrel extension or muzzle break to make Contender Carbine [message #26885 is a reply to message #26882] Fri, 27 December 2013 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
Not so sure that that is a legal "permanent" extension.
It may cost you a lot more in legal fees than it's worth where you to be stopped by the wrong cop!
You would probably be better off just offering your 14" barrel for trade on this site,and swap it for a carbine barrel!
A press fit is not considered permanent,as something as simple as freezing it would allow it to be removed.
It would need to be welded or pinned to meet "permanent" guidelines.
Re: Wanted: Barrel extension or muzzle break to make Contender Carbine [message #26886 is a reply to message #26885] Fri, 27 December 2013 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
You may have a point about the press fit, if tight enough freezing may not break it louse but then would have to test
that and pining it would give me the insurance to be on the
safe side.

Re: Wanted: Barrel extension or muzzle break to make Contender Carbine [message #26887 is a reply to message #26886] Fri, 27 December 2013 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum Newbie
swapping for a carbine barrel is not so easy as the carbine barrel prices are way out of site, still want to figure out a way of doing this with out much cost on the barrels I have.

Re: Wanted: Barrel extension or muzzle break to make Contender Carbine [message #26888 is a reply to message #26887] Fri, 27 December 2013 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Sorry, but freezing the tube won't loosen it, it'd make it tighter, metal shrinks as it get colder, expands as it warms. With a .005 interferance fit it may loosen enough by heating it with a propane torch to get it to come loose, but you'd have to heat the tube quicker than the heat transfer to the barrel. It's common to heat a "frozen" lug nut or brake drum to aid removal. With a 12 thousandths interference fit, it requires roughly 300 TONS of force and lube to press a bearing on a railroad axle. However, heat the bearing to ~1000 degrees and chill the shaft with liquid nitrogen, and it'll simply "drop on".
My understanding is White's barrel stubs, extensions, and brakes are interference fit pressed fits, although Idon't know just how much interference he uses, but I don't think they are pinned, and accepted by ATF. I don't know if I asked him, if he'd share that with me.
In the reply you got on the other forum the poster used a 3/8 threaded rod, that's .375 in diameter, so could only be used on a fairly large bore, maybe not even fit through a 375 JDJ bore (without ome serious hammering). With a smaller bore, you'd need a smaller diameter rod, and may tax the tensile limit of the rod.
Crubear's reference to the Ross brake and pinned looks to be the least expenisive route,,and attracttively feasible.
Jim
Re: Wanted: Barrel extension or muzzle break to make Contender Carbine [message #26890 is a reply to message #26888] Fri, 27 December 2013 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Might be cheaper to sell your 14" and buy a standard length bbl 21" or 23" and have it shortened and crowned. My local gunsmith will do that for $50.
Re: Wanted: Barrel extension or muzzle break to make Contender Carbine [message #27226 is a reply to message #26890] Tue, 07 January 2014 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
Tracy,
David White Special Offer: http://www.dandtcustomgunworks.websitetoolbox.com/post/muzzl e-brakes-6692356
...as good a deal for this service that you'll find!
Jimmy

Think twice...shoot once.
Previous Topic: "Low" one piece mounts - Talley
Next Topic: encore upgrades in order?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 19:14:52 EDT 2024