Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Have you ever noticed.....
Have you ever noticed..... [message #2421] Tue, 30 November 2010 07:38 Go to next message
sdb777 is currently offline  sdb777
Forum Newbie
Not saying it happens here, and certainly don't want it to seem as if I'm callin' anyone out on the carpet.... Just making conversation!

Have you ever noticed that when someone is selling any firearm, it has only been shot 10, 20, 25 times? I've even witness firearms that have been shot twice, but was bought second hand...but it's only been shot twice!

I can almost understand a super wizz-bangin' thumper firearm, you know...it beat the snot out of me the two times I fired it and I just don't want anymore! But trying to tell me that a .223Rem was only fired a few times....sure!?!?!?

So is it just me seeing this trend? Have you noticed it? Are you one of these people that do this?

Scott

Maker of the finest cartridge pens!
Re: Have you ever noticed..... [message #2424 is a reply to message #2421] Tue, 30 November 2010 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BLBPA is currently offline  BLBPA
Forum Newbie
Not sure how to respond to that. You must know a lot of politicians(tell you what you want to here or what they think you want to here)I hope I'm not the only one out there, but I tell it like it is.
Re: Have you ever noticed..... [message #2429 is a reply to message #2424] Tue, 30 November 2010 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

I never thought about it, but I understand what your saying.
Re: Have you ever noticed..... [message #2438 is a reply to message #2424] Wed, 01 December 2010 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sdb777 is currently offline  sdb777
Forum Newbie
BLBPA wrote on Tue, 30 November 2010 09:21
Not sure how to respond to that. You must know a lot of politicians(tell you what you want to here or what they think you want to here)I hope I'm not the only one out there, but I tell it like it is.

Wish there more of ya then!

Sold a Rem M700 chambered in 22.250Rem, round count was somewhere in the 1,500 range. When I responded to the advertisement I had made with the round count, I was told the rifle was no longer good for anything other then parts.
Took the rifle to the range and video-taped a five shot group at 200 yards that measure right at 0.660"(CTC, and yes it was a perfect day to shoot and the first time the rifle shot under 1" at 200!!!)! The rifle sold that night for the asking price, and is hopefully with someone whacking coyotes at longrange!

The 375JDJ I had on the sale listing was one of those "It was okay to fire before back surgery, but after it was just miserable!"-guns. Too bad, it shoots well enough for someone willing to take the recoil...but I'll keep it for the future to see if the son wants to use it.

Scott

Maker of the finest cartridge pens!
Re: Have you ever noticed..... [message #2512 is a reply to message #2438] Wed, 08 December 2010 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bobolallawa is currently offline  bobolallawa
Forum Newbie
My problem is I reload my own and enjoy the range time. Not sure I could tell you how many rounds have been down any of the ones I shoot. The only ones I know for sure about are the ones I haven't started working up a good load for.
Re: Have you ever noticed..... [message #2518 is a reply to message #2421] Thu, 09 December 2010 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xray66 is currently offline  xray66
Forum Newbie
Sometimes I get into a new caliber, shoot it a few times then try another caliber, reload and so on. After awhile, maybe 10 years, I may have several barrels shot only a few times but over 10 years old. I'm one of those with the addiction, that upon buying a new firearm I am looking over my shoulder at gun shop to see what the next one will be.......xray66
Re: Have you ever noticed..... [message #2738 is a reply to message #2518] Tue, 28 December 2010 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wolverine is currently offline  wolverine
Novice Contributor
I have alot of rifles in that category, I will zero the sights/scope a put them away. Then if a hunt for that rifle doesn't happen it just sets. I have rifles I use alot and then some that just set. Only have two hands and limited hunting time here in Ohio.
Re: Have you ever noticed..... [message #2772 is a reply to message #2738] Sat, 01 January 2011 18:00 Go to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
It depends on the firearm.

I have a 700ADL Remington in .270 that used to beat the snot out of my shoulder (I have a very jacked up right shoulder). From 2002 to 2008, I probably put less than two full 20 round boxes through it. Then I installed a thumbhole stock on it with a Sims recoil pad, and it was like a completely different rifle (My shoulder has also healed up a lot since then). Since 2008, there have been several hundred rounds through it - mostly having a blast with it at the range. Love the way it shoots and feels now.

Have a couple of pistol caliber carbines that aren't even a half-year old yet, but already have thousands of rounds through them. Fun as heck weapons to shoot... and fairly inexpensive compared to rifle ammo. One is a 9mm, the other a .40. Every month they get their normal doses of lead and gunpowder treatments.

Have a .22 magnum that I've been wanting to own for many years - finally bought it... and it's sat in the safe for over a year and a half. I've never put a round through it. Just haven't had the time. When I go to the range, I always reach for it, then end up grabbing something else. I tell myself every time - "I have to get that thing out here and shoot it some".

Break....

And then there are the "others" at the place I work. About two years ago, when the "Obama is going to take all of our guns" craze went on, many of my co-workers who had never owned a weapon decided to go out and buy one. Some bought practical firearms. Some went crazy. None of them ever shot them. I know of one person who has owned a KelTec .380 for two years now, and it's never seen a single round chambered. He owns both the gun and ammunition, but he has never even chambered a round or loaded a magazine. I'd be willing to bet that if I offered him $50 less than he paid for it, he would probably take me up on the offer. There are others. I once talked to a gunshop owner that told me about all the .44 magnums he sold right after the Dirty Harry movies. He said something to the effect, "I can't tell you how many of those I sold with a full box of ammo, and then bought it back from them for a cheaper price with a full box of ammo minus one round". And then he laughed himself silly. Ha! I don't doubt his story. I saw a guy that I thought had snapped his wrist off with a new S&W .500 magnum. He shot one round out of it, and he almost lost his footing when he fired. He shook the cobwebs out of his head for a second, uttered "Holy $%#^", and then put it down. He asked his buddy if he wanted to try it and his buddy took a step back and said "Heck no!". We all had a good laugh at the range, and then they put it away and left. One round. Two guys. They each paid $8 to shoot that day. So $16 for one person to shoot it, and the other person to get scared enough while watching to change his mind about trying it himself.

Then there are the "I'm buying it for home protection" people who really don't know what to do with it because they have never even fired it. They have only watched others shoot, either on TV / movies or at a range somewhere. Half of them probably wouldn't pull the trigger if their life was in danger, and that is really dangerous - to have a gun and not be willing to use it. Add another 1/4 of that group that wouldn't even know how to operate it if a thief broke in... and oh yeah... they have the gun, but it's not loaded. They keep the ammo in the closet on the other side of the room because they don't want it to accidentally hurt someone (they know nothing about guns, actual gun safety, etc...). So by the time they get their gun, find the ammo, and figure out how to load it, the perpetrator has already either stolen everything they wanted and left, or has killed the entire family - maybe even with the homeowners own firearm.

Lots of people buy weapons for lots of different reasons. Please don't get me wrong - I'm not judging people. I simply know many of them that are like the ones I described above, and I worry for them.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Previous Topic: Hello from the Hoosier state
Next Topic: hey folks got a question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 07:05:41 EDT 2024