Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » OK guys tell me why or why not (17 Rem. Fireball)
OK guys tell me why or why not [message #27229] Tue, 07 January 2014 10:21 Go to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

I have had this longing for a Contender carbine 23" or 24" barrel chambered in 17 Rem. Fireball. I know some here are believers and some are not.

Tell me why I should get a 17 Fireball barrel and/or tell me why I should not. I don't really know why I would like to have one but just do. Prairie dogs are disappearing and it is way beyond my means to travel way out west to hunt squirrels a such. So what else is there for the 17 Fireball.

Bring it on, please.

TIA

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: OK guys tell me why or why not [message #27231 is a reply to message #27229] Tue, 07 January 2014 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
The only consistent complaint I've hear about the 17's is they can be touchy, where 1/10th of a grain makes a HUGE change in pressure. So go with a 20Vartarg and tell me how you like it Wink

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: OK guys tell me why or why not [message #27245 is a reply to message #27231] Tue, 07 January 2014 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
midwesthunter is currently offline  midwesthunter
Forum Newbie
I use to use 17 Rem mag on yotes, but the 17 cal bullets don't do very well when they hit bone. That would be my only complaint on 17's
Re: OK guys tell me why or why not [message #27266 is a reply to message #27231] Tue, 07 January 2014 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Crubear wrote on Tue, 07 January 2014 09:33
The only consistent complaint I've hear about the 17's is they can be touchy, where 1/10th of a grain makes a HUGE change in pressure. So go with a 20Vartarg and tell me how you like it Wink

Rich; I already have a 204 barrel for my Encore and actually one for my Contender. Love the round but just kind of wishing for a 17. I have an HMR and really like it but thought about a reloadable one.

Midwesthunter; I had really thought that would be the case. I really would not use a 17 on anything much larger than a GroundHog. Although I have seen what an HMR can do to a Groundhog. Entry, no exit, and mush inside.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: OK guys tell me why or why not [message #27276 is a reply to message #27266] Wed, 08 January 2014 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dima is currently offline  Dima
Novice Contributor
Having owned both a .204 Ruger and .17 Remington, I see little difference in performance at normal range. Using the right bullet for on larger varmints will go a long ways in remedying bullet failure. I have never had a coyote or badger run off after being hit with a 25gr Hornady hp. Yes 17's are sensitive to powder and primer changes however it's not hard to over come with careful weighing of powder charges. Some powders are more sensitive than others as well. Vihtavouri N-135 is an excellent powder for the .17's! The .17 Fireball should prove to be an excellent cartridge! It uses less powder than the .17 Remington and is more efficient. Also Lapua announced it will be producing 221 Fireball brass this year.
Re: OK guys tell me why or why not [message #27277 is a reply to message #27276] Wed, 08 January 2014 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
I would get a 1-9" twist just in case you decide to shoot anything over 25grs. Hammett Golds work excellent as well.
Re: OK guys tell me why or why not [message #27394 is a reply to message #27277] Sun, 12 January 2014 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr.270win is currently offline  Mr.270win
Forum Newbie
Little bullets drive me nuts because of Mother Nature "Wind"

John
Re: OK guys tell me why or why not [message #27411 is a reply to message #27394] Mon, 13 January 2014 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
But they get there so fast that the wind doesn't push them as much Wink

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: OK guys tell me why or why not [message #27422 is a reply to message #27411] Mon, 13 January 2014 21:29 Go to previous message
Novice Contributor
Wind is not as bad as people claim. Provided your shooting less than 300yd's. It's something you must take into consideration using any cartridge.
Previous Topic: Need to cut down barrels ??
Next Topic: 260 Remington
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 03:49:16 EDT 2024