Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Venturing away from Nikon for the first time in years
Venturing away from Nikon for the first time in years [message #27651] Mon, 20 January 2014 14:02 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I've always been a huge fan of Nikon optics. In particular, I firmly believe the Nikon ProStaff line of scopes has been a great value for the money. I don't normally buy very high end scopes because I seldom shoot past 100 yards anyway at the places I hunt. They have had nice, clear glass and I've never had an issue with any of the ones I've purchased. I've even purchased a few of the close-out models before they "upgraded" (still not sure if that's the right term) to the newest model. I kinda like the older aluminum cap models over the newer plastic cap models, even if there are some claimed improvements.

But lately, I've been hearing quite a few horror stories about dealing with Nikon's customer service, which is making me wary of buying another one. If it were just an occasional disgruntled customer, I'd normally wave that off. But it's been more than a few through various boards I visit.

I'll fully admit - I've personally never needed to use Nikon Customer Service, and I'm good with my current optics by them. But I have several new barrels and a few rifles that need scopes, so I'm about to buy quite a few scopes this year.

Vortex has been getting a lot of good press lately, and I hear their customer service has been phenomenal by the few that have actually reporting a need to use it. So I stopped by Bass Pro Shops the other day and checked out the Vortex Diamondback. I liked it. Nice and clear. Seems very well made. Had features I liked. Similar price range to what I've been using in the Nikon line-up. So I came home and did more research and it seemed to be a good choice.

Vortex Diamondback BDC in 3-9x40 ordered this morning! This will be my first venture away from Nikon in about 10 years. If I like this one, I'll order some more. Probably a few of the same model, and might venture into one of their V-Brite models for hog hunting if I like them.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Mon, 20 January 2014 14:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Venturing away from Nikon for the first time in years [message #27653 is a reply to message #27651] Mon, 20 January 2014 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crubear is currently offline  Crubear
Top Contributor
Forum Moderator
Like my Vortex, and they serviced it with no problem even though it was human error

Honestly, I have all the barrels I want or could ever need..... wait, look, there's another!!
Re: Venturing away from Nikon for the first time in years [message #27663 is a reply to message #27653] Mon, 20 January 2014 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Glenn: Thank you for that appraisal of Vortex to Nikon. Like you I have several Nikon's, I like the Buckmasters 3 X 9's. I have a few Burris scopes which are my favorites but have never bought new as they are to high on their price. I had thought of going to Cabela's guide series, but after your review I will try the Vortex instead.
Rick

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: Venturing away from Nikon for the first time in years [message #27664 is a reply to message #27663] Mon, 20 January 2014 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jplucas6.5 is currently offline  jplucas6.5
I really like my Vortex 4-12x44.
Re: Venturing away from Nikon for the first time in years [message #27683 is a reply to message #27664] Mon, 20 January 2014 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
I've wondered about the Vortex scopes but haven't had the chance to look thru them personally, I guess I need to get to town more often. LOL. Mike
Re: Venturing away from Nikon for the first time in years [message #27692 is a reply to message #27683] Tue, 21 January 2014 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

I too have a vortex (see the article on the main page of the site), I really like the scope a lot
Re: Venturing away from Nikon for the first time in years [message #27717 is a reply to message #27692] Tue, 21 January 2014 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jplucas6.5 is currently offline  jplucas6.5
Btw mine is a Crossfire II.
Re: Venturing away from Nikon for the first time in years [message #27813 is a reply to message #27717] Thu, 23 January 2014 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shyoldman is currently offline  Shyoldman
Forum Newbie
I have 2, both been in for service. Great service from them. I also have a pair of binos. While I am not dissatisfied I will stick to Nikon when I can.
Re: Venturing away from Nikon for the first time in years [message #27819 is a reply to message #27813] Thu, 23 January 2014 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Shyoldman - two Vortex's or two Nikon's that have been in for service?
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Venturing away from Nikon for the first time in years [message #27965 is a reply to message #27819] Sun, 26 January 2014 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shyoldman is currently offline  Shyoldman
Forum Newbie
Both Vortex's. A Crossfire for cross hairs coming loose, a EER pistol scope for bad eye relief.
Re: Venturing away from Nikon for the first time in years [message #28003 is a reply to message #27965] Tue, 28 January 2014 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Ahh, just a reminder that customer service is important. Many businesses forget that their reputation for customer services goes a long way toward customer loyalty, even for those that have never needed to use it. And with modern internet and social media, it is even more important.
Re: Venturing away from Nikon for the first time in years [message #28243 is a reply to message #28003] Mon, 03 February 2014 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
littleking is currently offline  littleking
Forum Admin

Cajuntec, care to do a writeup (with pics) of your new scope and emailing it to me?
Previous Topic: 25/06 26" heavt barrel twist rate vs bullet weight
Next Topic: Encore custom build question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 00:18:44 EDT 2024