Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Teaching kids to shoot properly
Teaching kids to shoot properly [message #30429] Sun, 06 April 2014 12:03
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Not wanting to ruffle any dad's feathers, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention this. If you have a young kid or 10-14 anyway, and you want them to learn to shoot with decent coaching and "real-world" applied shooting skills, One of the BEST programs is the JC's "BB-gun" program. Before you "poo-poo" BB guns, hear me out first.
The program gets BB-guns provided by Daisy. Yeah, daisy generally get's weird looks from their really cheap wal-mart, etc examples. HOWEVER, they do make air guns that are EXTREMELY close to "world class" (IE olympic) guns. The daisy guns aren't really all that pricey, as a matter of fact for their actual accuracy they are extreme bargains.
The specific gun they use, you can get yourself, if you want a "personalized" gun for your son or daughter or both. It's a simple single-shot Lever action, lever as in 94 win. One cock, so no barrel break, or pumping, no canisters, nor co2 cartridges, just simple compressed air from the cocking. It's a drop in BB design, drop right down the barrel itself. The "match" grade BB's are outstandingly uniform, and really cheap, silver in color.
The sights, especially the rear is a cheap plastic material, but actually quite accurate and pretty well made. Remember they really don't need re-adjustment once set up. Their patterned after the extrememly accurate front and rear peep sights like the lyman's and redfields for rimfires and bigger bores.
The kids learn 4 position shooting skills, NOT setting up a gun in a non-real world bench with adjustments and front and rear supports doinf the most critical work. In the real world, like hunting, who carries around a bench, stool, front rest, rear rest, etc to shoot a deer? You have to be able to use what's around where you're at, or make do what you physically have. legs, arms, wrists, back, etc.
Scopes may be the most accurate, but you can't rely on JUST the equipment, The human factor is the most important. That's where basic shooting skills and tecniques are really the most important the new shooter needs to learn. Once Mastered, transitioning to scopes has 90% of the work already ingrained and "natural" for the shooter.
Dad could conceivably set the gun up where the crosshair is "dead center" and a monkey could go up and pull the trigger and maybe score an "X". So what was really accomplished if it was the son that did that? hunkered down, planted the stock, set cheek on the stock saw the cross-hairs aligned correctly and just had to squeeze off the shot. Did he really score that "X" on his own skills set? Laying prone with that same gun and scoring the "X" was all his doing, outside sighting in the scope. Is a bullet hitting and scoring the "X" really what's important? I suggest not. This ISN'T pointed to Glenn, but all dad's in general, After all it is a public forum and pointed towards all that visit and read here.
Jim

Glenn, I apologize for hi-jacking your thread.
Jim

[Updated on: Sun, 06 April 2014 12:06]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: 16" .410 contender forearm
Next Topic: Encore adjusting hinge pins
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:29:25 EDT 2024