Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » .45 Bergara muzzleloader barrel and BH 209
.45 Bergara muzzleloader barrel and BH 209 [message #30709] Thu, 17 April 2014 13:42 Go to next message
captaincaveman is currently offline  captaincaveman
Novice Contributor
thinking about grabbing a .45 bergara barrel....my question is will I have to change or modify the breech plug to run Blackhorn powder?

Thanks Josh
Re: .45 Bergara muzzleloader barrel and BH 209 [message #30710 is a reply to message #30709] Thu, 17 April 2014 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
You may have to also worry about what primers you use, seems to me I remember someone had an issue with what brand 209 primer they could use on a certain brand barrel.
Jim

I don't use an encore, nor have any interest in BP barrels or use, so I don't mentally keep track of those threads.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 April 2014 13:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: .45 Bergara muzzleloader barrel and BH 209 [message #30711 is a reply to message #30710] Thu, 17 April 2014 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
ran blackhorn in my Knight Disc. Have to use shotgun primers....muzzy primers aren't hot enough to light it. There are some rifles that just won't shoot it because of breech plug design though
Re: .45 Bergara muzzleloader barrel and BH 209 [message #30717 is a reply to message #30711] Fri, 18 April 2014 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
something about the size, one was too big to insert.
Jim
Re: .45 Bergara muzzleloader barrel and BH 209 [message #30821 is a reply to message #30717] Tue, 22 April 2014 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mule is currently offline  mule
Forum Newbie
i use to shoot tripple seven and 209 primers never had a problem although i have a true thompson barrel they are the same? except for manufacture? i switched to tripple seven primers because they are not as hot the regular 209 displaces the powder too much force and inconsistent ignition equals different pressures velocities large group and fliers may not have said that exactly right but you get the idea im not a science teacher just an avid hunter and dad. also be sure to dry the barrel thoroughly and than fire three caps to be sure its dry wait a few seconds and load it and leave it in your truck or unheated area. you dont want to bring your rifle in and out of the house for i would think are obvious reasons. you could tell some people all the rules and they would find another way to screw up. i also put a piece of black electrical tape over the muzzle and shoot right through it to keep out moisture. done it many times i know what your thinking but it really is not a barrel obstruction but do what you like. i now use the same muzzelloader with a different ignition system which i will keep to myself. lets just say im pushing the envelope. right jim. also you may already know all this but someone else reading this may not.
Re: .45 Bergara muzzleloader barrel and BH 209 [message #30829 is a reply to message #30821] Wed, 23 April 2014 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mjgonehunting is currently offline  mjgonehunting
Forum Regular
I started using the American Pioneer(Shockey Gold) powders( loose) and found that they shoot great for me,and where very easy to clean.
Then I switched to their sticks and never looked back.
I used max loads,and have recently found that they sell single max load sticks,so no more loading multiple pieces!
My guns shoot great with them with standard Winchester 209 primers.i have been working off of the same large box for years!
Never had a misfire with this combo in my encore so never tried other powders once I found it!
Does BH add enough velocity to warrant trying it?
How easy does it clean up?
I shoot the loads I have now very well,so have a hard time changing things at this point!

Maybe I'm just becoming a crusty old fart and hate change!
Can I shoot a fouler before the season,and keep it loaded for the rest of the season w/o cleaning and not get corrosion or pitting like I can with the Shockey Gold?
Re: .45 Bergara muzzleloader barrel and BH 209 [message #30837 is a reply to message #30829] Wed, 23 April 2014 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mule is currently offline  mule
Forum Newbie
like you i found something that worked and stuck with it. never had a problem with the 209 just heard the tripple 7 primers were better so switched. could have been heresay that cost me an extra few dollars. but they worked fine so kept using them. now i use my shotgun primers to dry my bore. all i can say is that if it works why try to fix it. i am no longer using tripple seven powder or primers but am unwilling to say my method due to safety concerns. wish everyone a safe and enjoyable white cloud. i have never used these other powders. if you want more velocity than go for it. their are more powders out there than roadkill on monday morning. i only switched mine because i did not like being in my recliner with a full belly and deer hanging in the garage with half lidded eyes and realized i still had to clean that darned dirty smokepole before i went to bed.
Re: .45 Bergara muzzleloader barrel and BH 209 [message #30842 is a reply to message #30837] Wed, 23 April 2014 20:39 Go to previous message
Novice Contributor
I absolutely love Blackhorn...for all intents and purposes it is smokeless powder...non-corrosive...fire a couple to verify zero at the start of the season and clean it when the season is over. No need for anti-seize on the breech plug, no soap and water to clean, just swab with Hoppes, and it is every bit as fast if not faster than trip7...I have no complaints
Previous Topic: ¿Possible to buy just a T/C Dimension receiver?
Next Topic: Ohio to potentially allow rifles using pistol calibre cartridges for deer hunting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:10:17 EDT 2024