Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » Archive » Sold, Traded, Found, or No Longer Available/Wanted » WTB Rimfire Pin (Early Contender)
WTB Rimfire Pin [message #32432] Sun, 27 July 2014 09:47 Go to next message
wildwood is currently offline  wildwood
Novice Contributor
Broke my rimfire pin and don't have a spare.
Need one but two or three or even a set would be Great.

Thanks
Re: WTB Rimfire Pin [message #32438 is a reply to message #32432] Sun, 27 July 2014 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Which frame(s) do you need for? And G-1 or G-2? 2 or three, or a set is dreaming, especially with some of the G-1's.
Plus I'd need to know how you broke it. The little suckers aren't easy to change out. Detent balls and tiny springs have a nasty habit of flying around and disappearing.

Jim

[Updated on: Sun, 27 July 2014 19:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: WTB Rimfire Pin [message #32439 is a reply to message #32438] Sun, 27 July 2014 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wildwood is currently offline  wildwood
Novice Contributor
I have a early (1975) G1 not sure how it broke. I do have extra G1 trigger and safety springs that I could trade.
Re: WTB Rimfire Pin [message #32440 is a reply to message #32439] Sun, 27 July 2014 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
36K +/- 2K. Usually one of three ways,1. set for rimfire when centerfire cartridge was going to be shot, or 2. opening or closing with hammer fully down (perhaps having trigger pulled when trigger guard spur pulled back), or3) pulling trigger or dropping hammer on an empty chamber. #2 tends to bend the tip. bend one way first and then the opposite way. #1 striking the brass case typically takes several times #3 is a killer on firing pins (dry firing)
Are you sure it's broke? I've seen them (especially the rimfor pin) bent so bad, it
s stuck in the hole for it, and will "refuse to fire". When the tip button looking pin from behind, push it in and see if it moves. Should go forward about a heavy 1/16th inch. When pushed forward an intact firing pin will potrude out past the firing pin bushing about a 1/16th. Does yours a) move forward? and b) if it does, does it stick out about that much if held forward? Broken it will move forward, but not stick out if held forward. Bent, won't move at all most times. Let's start with that simple test first.
Jim
Re: WTB Rimfire Pin [message #32446 is a reply to message #32440] Mon, 28 July 2014 11:59 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
Don,
I lucked out and bought a "parts box" that happened to contain two new sets,including springs, of contender firing pins. Recently I found out That my dad's 77 made had a screwed rimfire firing pin. That's gonna eat one of those sets. I don't dare let the other set go, or put myself in the same aggravating position you're in. However, you might still be able to get your's fixed, emphasis on the "Might".
I don't have a G-2. There's a possibility that they use the same firing pins. If you or someone has a G-2 and it's owner manual, see if they label in the parts drawing and list, those firing pins as part's 15 and 15A. IF SO, S&W/T/C would have them. Several problems tho that make it "iffy". First is they don't "sell parts" for you to replace/install. They'll insist that you send the gun (receiver) to them.
I've never known of S&W/T/C working on G-1's. I know of several people that they told them to send them in and they'd fix it; however, all it did was sit. They finnally did return it (all at their expense), but they never fixed it. Those same people called again, was again told it would be fixed, S&W did pay for the shipping, etc. But when finally returned, same deal, they didn't even attempt to fix it. Basically S&W tied up their guns for MONTHS at no charge, but never fixed it either like they said they would. G-2 *might* have been repaired. I haven't figured out what Games S&W/T/C is playing.
With any of the G-1's, they tell you they will fix it, but I don't know of a single case where they actually did. So, they would fix it, even if the parts will fit, but they don't want to send you parts so you can fix them either.
I've got one cross-bolt safety set of parts, but I also have 5 cross-bolt safety frames/guns; I don't dare sell or give them away, I can't possibly get those parts to fix mine if I do, should I ever need to. If I had 20 sets, that'd be a different matter, same with the firing pins. Same with what few interlocks, sears, etc. go as well. I don't think he does, but you might also check with Kurt Bellm. They won't likely be factory made, but he does get parts custom made to T/C specs, he's pretty anal about that (that's a good thing). That's the only other source I can think of at the moment, that might be of help. That's about the best/only advice I can give.
Jim

[Updated on: Mon, 28 July 2014 12:02]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: WTS: 3 Pistol Barrels
Next Topic: FS 26" Blue 300 Win. mag
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 19:10:01 EDT 2024