Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Trigger/Misfire Issues
Trigger/Misfire Issues [message #32727] Sat, 16 August 2014 16:51 Go to next message
encore7mm/308 is currently offline  encore7mm/308
Forum Newbie
Hello All,

I am new to the group and kind of new to the TC line of firearms. I am having issues with an Encore that I purchased second hand. I shot it the day that I bought it and knew that the tigger is VERY light, but it shot great and was very accurate. By accurate I mean 3 shots in one elongated hole at 100yrds. After about 5 rounds through the rifle I am now having misfires about every 3 rounds. I can pull the hammer back and fire again which will go off the second time. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I would really like my rifle to be dependable during hunting season.

Thanks, Adam
Re: Trigger/Misfire Issues [message #32732 is a reply to message #32727] Sat, 16 August 2014 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Adam,
First and foremost - does your rifle have an aftermarket hammer extension on it? If it does, take it off and see if that solves the issue. Some people don't realize the trajectory of the hammer extension, and they end up lightly scrapping the bottom of their scope ocular lens bell. If it's not lightweight aluminum, it might also be contributing to the misfires due to the added weight added to the hammer spur. You can fix that second problem by installing a heavier hammer spring from Bellm.

You may also have headspace issues. I suggest checking out Bellms page here to address that issue:
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=172&

Change of subject, since you mentioned it:

Also, since you said your trigger is VERY light, does your hammer rebound properly?
If the trigger pull is very light, the trigger/sear may not be strong enough to rebound the hammer to half cock after you take your finger off the trigger after letting the hammer down manually. If that is the case, I'd be very careful with that firearm, and I'd have the trigger looked at / springs changed to something heavier than 2 lbs. Bellm recommends 1.5 lbs as the minimum. His instructions are very adamant about this, and I've had issues with one of mine that I had to go with a slightly heavier spring. It's still awesome. Just not a hair trigger like it was before, and it's safe now.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Sat, 16 August 2014 18:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Trigger/Misfire Issues [message #32733 is a reply to message #32732] Sat, 16 August 2014 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
The first thing I'd check: The previous owner may have over-Bellm-ized the setup. I'm talking about super-polishing the sear/hammer engagement and creating a slippery-slope as he calls it. Insert a snap-cap, close the action, cock the hammer and push it forward with moderate/heavy hand-pressure. If the Hammer drops you've got a safety issue. Heavier Hammer springs will add to the problem. While you're at Bellm's site, check up on that. For super-light trigger pulls plus heavy hammer springs, he recommends going from a 90* to an 80* engagement angle.
If your chamber is too deep, the first hit shoved the case forward, the second hit had enough force to ignite the primer. Take your barrel off, and shove the loaded round into the chamber as much as you can with your thumb griefing all you can muster. Then take a steel straight put it across the breech end and see if there is any gap under the straight edge and the case end.Shimming the bushing forward will only work so far. You still have to maintain .0015 to .0020 gap between the bushing and the barrel's breech end. Cases going too deep can be adjusted by adjusting your dies to move the shoulder forward to keep the case from going deep. Within reason, you can push the case back a little further to account for excessive headspace. Shimming for one barrel may create problems with other barrels you may have and want to use on that frame. I'd suggest adjusting the bushing for the shortest gap barrel still leaving .0015 to .002 gap for it. Then use die adjustment on the rest of your barrels. Unless, of course, you don't mind having dedicated barrel/frame combos.
Failure to fire can also be caused by insufficient lock-up--locking bolts not going in deep enough. You can read about that at Bellm's site as well.
Jim
Re: Trigger/Misfire Issues [message #32735 is a reply to message #32733] Sun, 17 August 2014 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Went through this a couple times over the years. Usually replacing the hammer spring takes care of it. It does get its tension reduced after time, especially if it had a hammer spur on it, like Glenn said. Another area to look, if it has been used as a Muzzle Loader, the firing pin hole in the round pin receiver can become elongated or corroded. This will cause the pin to stick. Again just replace it. All these parts can be had, easy enough with a call to S&W parts dept.
Rick

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: Trigger/Misfire Issues [message #32736 is a reply to message #32727] Sun, 17 August 2014 10:42 Go to previous message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

I incurred misfires on a encore 500 SW pistol. Sometimes would fire, sometimes it would not. I changed out the steel hammer extension to an aluminum one. Solved the problem. If you have a steel hammer extension on it, that's where I would start.

Mike/WWK
Previous Topic: After market sights?
Next Topic: Good Scope for 15" 308 Barrel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 14:41:39 EDT 2024