Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Near miss at the range (Stock failure under recoil)
Near miss at the range [message #33140] Mon, 15 September 2014 00:03 Go to next message
RD97 is currently offline  RD97
Novice Contributor
I had a near miss today at the range while trying out a 416 Rigby load in my Encore. On the fourth shot, the composite stock split at the wrist. Thankfully there were no injurious consequences.
It looks like I may have to revisit both the torque specs for the stock, and how I mitigate recoil for range shooting. I got this stock used, and added 5lbs of lead shot and epoxy into the cavity in the rear. Until now it worked great for making the big boomers fun and easy to shoot. However, the extra stress caused by the lead may have been the straw that broke the camels back.

index.php?t=getfile&id=5423&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=5424&private=0
Re: Near miss at the range [message #33143 is a reply to message #33140] Mon, 15 September 2014 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Glad you didn't get hurt. Looks like a warranty replacement to me.
Re: Near miss at the range [message #33145 is a reply to message #33143] Mon, 15 September 2014 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Maybe not, the buttstock was modified, and that fact voids any and all warranty obligations. They may or may not replace it, it may depend on how generous and nice the person is who takes your call.
Jim

[Updated on: Mon, 15 September 2014 08:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Near miss at the range [message #33146 is a reply to message #33140] Mon, 15 September 2014 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

Glad your ok, could have been bad.
Re: Near miss at the range [message #33150 is a reply to message #33145] Mon, 15 September 2014 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
jamesgammel wrote on Mon, 15 September 2014 08:43
Maybe not, the buttstock was modified, and that fact voids any and all warranty obligations. They may or may not replace it, it may depend on how generous and nice the person is who takes your call.
Jim

Truedat. Remove the lead, clean out the epoxy the best you can, put the butt pad on and send it in. They may never remove the pad. Besides, I seriously doubt the modification had anything to do with the failure. You just put more force than that synthetic stock could handle. They usually pay shipping both ways, so worst case they keep the stock and don't replace it.
Re: Near miss at the range [message #33151 is a reply to message #33150] Mon, 15 September 2014 14:59 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
they may not want the sucker back anyway, can't repair it. If that's the case.about all worth salvaging may be the butt pad and grip cap. Mite be able to sucker someone into buying those for more than a new stock costs.

Jim
Previous Topic: Encore barrel recall
Next Topic: Federal .22 UltraMatch?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 00:30:05 EDT 2024