Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » Archive » Sold, Traded, Found, or No Longer Available/Wanted » WTB Vent rib for 10" G1 blue (Bought a v/r barrel that was stripped. Want v/r and forearm lug. )
WTB Vent rib for 10" G1 blue [message #33593] Sat, 18 October 2014 22:15 Go to next message
Maquinn is currently offline  Maquinn
Forum Newbie
This barrel has two studs in top of the barrel to pin the vent rib. I'd like to find a vent rib for it. This is a G1 10" 44 mag barrel (that also has threads for the choke tube). Also need the lug under barrel to mount the forearm. Any ideas?

If no luck I was also toying with mounting a holosight. Holosight vs. red dot? Any opinion on that question?

Magnus
Re: WTB Vent rib for 10" G1 blue [message #33595 is a reply to message #33593] Sun, 19 October 2014 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
I think I know where you got that rib-less barrel. Current model 45-410's and the ones made from quite a while ago are screwed on. You have one of the earlier ones that have two pins, two screws. I've never seen any one selling just an old model rib. You might try Numrich, but that would be a hail-mary shot. I'd offer my Bomar full-length rib/scope mount (I't's like a 10" long weaver mount), except it only screws on to any drilled and tapped bull 10, so it needs to have the front two SIGHT holes to hold the front end down, PLUS the barrel has to be a full bull 10", the first two versions are the stud/pin ones. The rear two holes are in the right places to hold a scope mount, however it's only two of the normal 4 holes used. T'C USED TO have just three holes and for a while made three hole scope mounts, the rail version. (For Phantom, Puma, etc.) You maybe could use a typical 4 hole mount and just use two screws (very front and furthest rear screws and HOPE they will hold or have the other two holes drilled and tapped to be able to use all four screws with a red-dot, etc. The studs remaining may not be high enough to interfere with the scope/red-dot; or grind them down some. The 45/410 rib is the same provided it's pinned so don't narrow your search to JUST a 44 rib. I don't have a later model 45/410 VR to compare and see it the studs are loacated where a screw hole would have to be drilled and tapped, If some one gave me the locations I could compare to my studded barrel (Real early 44 mag VR/internal choke, Very first version).
The "lug" for the forend is called a barrel Lock. You can find a bunch for sale on an auction site. You can also call and ask S&W/T-C for some. I had a good stash that's now almost gone because there are so many buttheads that remove them from barrels they sell, or lose them. Get the newer ones that have the rounded corners, they are tighter and less prone to slide back out. PLUS use a small pin punch to tighten the slot so it takes a "good tap" to line up the forend screw, then adjust for "perfect centering" of the forend, remove the forend and stake it again with small center punch to LOCK it in place. If the hinge lug is FLAT bottomed the barrel is tapered and you really need to find a proper forend for it. Most just use the typical later model forends for the full bull barrels (they have stepped hinge lugs). Gappy in front, and top edge doesn't sit parallel with bore center-line. Finding one is the bear.
Jim
Re: WTB Vent rib for 10" G1 blue [message #33718 is a reply to message #33595] Sun, 26 October 2014 12:13 Go to previous message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
Ask S&W first but another source for Dovetail lug can be had from:
Gregg's Bear Creek Guns
http://www.parts4guns.com/
DOVETAIL LOCK CONT CARBI #55160620 $3.41+shipping
Good luck with rib replacement. I'd mount a low power EER scope or red dot and use it.
Jimmy

Think twice...shoot once.
Previous Topic: WTB: 30-30 AI dies
Next Topic: WTS 15" SS 7mm-08 barrel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 15:47:45 EDT 2024