Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Photos » New build
New build [message #33774] Tue, 28 October 2014 20:56 Go to next message
Al in Mi is currently offline  Al in Mi
Novice Contributor
Since Michigan allowed straight walled cartridges in the shotgun zone this year, I've been putting this sweetie together over the last month.

Sorry for the pic quality, me and this phone still in learning mode.

Specs...........24" MGM full bull double diamond fluted chambered in 460 S&W with a MGM brake, buttstock is from the old Virgin Valley, forearm started life as a 20ga from Kimbo (thanks again Dan)I opened it up and added some brass pillars, fits like a glove. Zeiss 3-9 Conquest set in MGM's mount tops it off. Hammer wears a Bellm extension and the trigger is set at 2 1/2#.

index.php?t=getfile&id=5550&private=0

Patiently waiting for the weather to calm down to work on a load now.
  • Attachment: 460.jpg
    (Size: 140.67KB, Downloaded 1531 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 29 October 2014 00:29] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: New build [message #33775 is a reply to message #33774] Tue, 28 October 2014 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Nice! I really like that barrel.
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: New build [message #33785 is a reply to message #33774] Wed, 29 October 2014 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Good looking outfit, very sharp. Let us know how it shoots. That should do a deer in real nice.
Good luck in the season.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~
Re: New build [message #33786 is a reply to message #33774] Wed, 29 October 2014 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

I like that barrel and wood nice
Re: New build [message #33821 is a reply to message #33786] Fri, 31 October 2014 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wirehair is currently offline  wirehair
Forum Newbie
that looks great . how is the recoil ?
Re: New build [message #33824 is a reply to message #33821] Sat, 01 November 2014 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
very pleasant, less than my old 20ga slug barrel.
Re: New build [message #33828 is a reply to message #33824] Sat, 01 November 2014 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Al,
Can you post pics of your forend mod (brass pillars, etc...)? I'd like to see how you did that.
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: New build [message #33830 is a reply to message #33828] Sat, 01 November 2014 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kimbo
Forum Regular
Hey Big Al, that forend looks familiar??? LOL!! I figured that it would work for you after you mentioned the wanted or aimed for inside dimension. By the looks of it, I must not been to far off. Man, I don't even recognize it. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, and it isn't proprietary - I too would like to see some pics of your interior pillar work.
Perhaps one of the moderators may see a little need for a DIY "sticky"!!!
If you don't mind a pic of the pillar work, inside dimension of the forearm and what used (cnc cut, rasp,'tool'?).
BTW, I can't see from only the one picture you provided but did you take advantage of the 3rd hole for (tripod)?
Last but not least, did you cut the diamond patterns in the barrel and what type of insert did you use? Cobalt Tungsten?
Looks great Al, I'll have to drop by on my next business trip on the U.P. Dan
Re: New build [message #33901 is a reply to message #33830] Wed, 05 November 2014 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Glen, Dan, First I opened the barrel channel up with a 1" ballnose end mill in a Bridgeport (after hours at work Shocked) then opened the screw holes up to 5/8". I made the pillars out of 9/16 brass about 1/2" longer than needed, radiused the end with the 1" endmill, drilled and couterbored the screw holes and cut some glue grooves in the OD.

On the end of the frame and bottom of the barrel I laid a strip of 2" blue painters tape a couple inches longer than the forearm. This wrapped up the sides of the barrel to keep any epoxy from sticking. Next we screwed the pillars on the barrel and taped a couple of shims from a business card on the tip of the forearm and each side of the screw holes. This was to act as a standoff and keep the forearm free floated. On the inside and outside of the forearm I ran a strip of blue tape full length and used a razor knife to cut around the holes, this was to keep the epoxy off the wood and I used the cutouts to put over the ends of the pillars to keep the epoxy out of the holes. If it looked like epoxy would touch anything I didn't want it to, I taped it!!! Cool

Now the messy part, mixed up some Marine Tex, lathered the pillars and inside hole of the holes of the forearm, slid it over the pillars and wraped tight with electrical tape.

Next morning removed the screws and everything popped right off, removed the tape and trimmed away any overflowed epoxy. I cut the extra length of the pillars off flush and filed to flatten out, then sanded and finished the wood.
  • Attachment: forearm.jpg
    (Size: 915.10KB, Downloaded 412 times)
  • Attachment: forearm12.jpg
    (Size: 74.87KB, Downloaded 383 times)
Re: New build [message #34816 is a reply to message #33901] Thu, 18 December 2014 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TScottW99 is currently offline  TScottW99
Novice Contributor

That looks great!
Re: New build [message #34817 is a reply to message #34816] Thu, 18 December 2014 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captaincaveman is currently offline  captaincaveman
Novice Contributor
hey buddy...have you found a load you like in your .460 yet? I have a 24" mgm .460 also. Thought I had settled on 250 gr FTXs over 48 gr H110....until the bullet completely came apart in a deer. So starting over now

Josh
Re: New build [message #34826 is a reply to message #34817] Fri, 19 December 2014 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Novice Contributor
Hey Josh, 3 bullets I worked with were the 250gr Barnes TEZ ML bullet, the 250gr Hornady GMX ML bullet, and the 300gr TC Bonded Shockwave. All very accurate over 42gr of 4227 and 300MP (have to look up the gr but that H110 be good too)

Unfortunately the deer gods never shown down on me, but I wouldn't question their performance of any game.
Previous Topic: my encore
Next Topic: 1st deer w/pistol
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:05:16 EDT 2024